UNOFFICIAL FOLDING BIKE BUILD OFF CONTEST

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An old trick is to use the middle cog on the cluster and shorten the chain. You need a handbrake because it will still be freewheeling. A one speed coaster brake wheel should line up also. The sprocket on the one speed may not use the same chain as the freewheel. I've swapped out wheels that way and they have always lined up. You might add washers to get a little alignment correction. I also used one other trick. On the one speed wheel, the locknut for the bearing adjustment could be removed and still work while giving you a little less distance from the frame, IF your bearing adjustment is threaded also. That locknut is the width of a couple washers if your wheel has it.

I might paint Saturday if it isn't too windy.

very cool thanks for advice wildcat! It seems to run fine with coaster rear & the sprocket set-up i put in it, but it seems skewed too much - I mean it works OK, but just seems odd to have the chain not lining up parallell from crank to hub... cold here in TX - my shop is freezing - so can only tinker a little...

We're near freezing here in Florida. Nothing to do but surf the web.
Found a pic of my Raleigh 20.
2j64brp.jpg

Nice bikes, I had an identical green Raleigh twenty, it rode really nice. Im hoping to start painting my bike this weekend amidst the snowstorm blowing through. We'll see what happens.

My training class is over, what a stressful 2 weeks. I need some bike time. Its pretty cold out and suppossed to snow all weekend. Im going to get primer and paint in the morning and try it out. Im gonna try just the fork first. Ive been researching steampunk on my breaks, I was way off on my interpretation of it. I was going for the more mechanical side when I see its really just a different decorative style. A victorian era rat rod if you will. And I also found a motorcyle magazine called The Horse about how guys rat rod their stock motorcycles. Lots of good ideas in there. Some hotties too. :D

Yes, temp plays a big part, I cant get the primer to dry on the fork. Probably gonna have to restrip it

Got up to 62 here, but I was out shopping with the wife. I hoped to get a few hours in on bikes, but only had time for the wheels on her trike before it got too cold for the primer. Dropped to 50 in 30 minutes.

Nothing happening here, except I found the front fender which will now be the rear fender.

Mercedes Benz makes a folder now.

1124ub8.jpg

My A game is sticking with plan A, the cycletruck, just need to paint it. Im going with orange on the frame and fork, all white wheels and Im gonna try to twotone the tank. You both got me on the steampunk themes, but thats good, I need more ideas about it. I was way off with what I thought it should be. I have to admit, That is the coolest mag sprocket I have ever seen. For the steampunk build this summer, Im thinking an old 3 speed townie would be best to start with.

ohhhh a lil smack talk out of bighit that is different. i hope once you are all done you will post a bunch of progress pics all this talk and hiding stuff is boring to watch. and i agree that sprocket is sweet i love those and i was surprised early on you guys did not change the title to unofficial folding bike "steampunk" build off. i still dont totally get the steampunk deal is my bike pay it back considered this? i kinda hope not i just love the color of other metals. good luck to all and take off the train covers and post some pics

Mine isn't and won't be steam punk, as I said before, it's more of a hammered thing. At least it will be, I haven't done anything in a week or so. I'll post up my last progress, stained the carrier, but a small section won't absorb the stain, I sanded it down again and got the same result. I might just use a brown marker to fill it in.

nyzj4h.jpg

Yep that's the rear rack. It is one of those wood blanks from walmart. I wanted to use a nice cutting board, with a good oak finish, but I have to keep costs to a minimum. I also found a shiny metal mini-washtub at Lowe's that was just the right size, but it was 10 bucks also. I've had the naugahyde and minwax for a long time. The blank was 4 bucks, so it got the go ahead. I'm right at 35 bucks invested, and I know something else will probably come along that will need money. The goal is to keep it under 50 bucks.

Last known pic of mine, its in pieces all over the house right now. It will be orange with a short narrow half fender on the rear, no front fender, and Im going to use the stock rack to better match the basket.
100_0006-1.jpg

Brooks Saddles are the ultimate once you break them in. I just got a sprinter saddle with titanium rails for my townie. I might as well be sitting on a brick right now.

Latest posts

Back