Unknown 3-Bar Looptail...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
So, i got one of those looptail frames that @||TheDude|| was selling on RRB. (i think he has a few left as of right now... http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/26-3-bar-looptail-frames.98280/page-6 ) This is the pic from the ad, but this is how my frame looks:
emory1_zpsrzfmndju.jpeg

Well, the plan is to get it powdercoated gloss black, and build it up with (mostly) new and (some) vintage parts. Going for an old-school "strandie" feel, with an east coast twist and a slick black/chrome/gold ano color scheme. I'll try to snap some parts pile pics later tonight, but here' a breakdown of the list:
what i got
-Unknown 3-Bar Frame
-Chrome KHS "Heavy Duty" forks, early 80s, that i scored off of @chattymatty
-Chrome Tange Levin headset (gotta make sure the crown race fits the KHS; otherwise, i'll need to order the correct race for the fork...)
-Gold ano Profile XXL Wedge stem
-Probably some AME grips or whatever I got in the parts pile that's black
-Gold ano/silver fluted SE seatpost
-Black Kasmimax saddle with gold logo
-Chrome one-piece cranks
-Gold Ano Neptune Starfish spider
-Silver Porkchop Chopsaw III 44t chainring
-Tange sealed bottom bracket for OPC
-Gold ano beartrap pedals
-Izumi black/gold chain
-Gold ano Sturmey-Archer S1C rear singlespeed coaster hub/ Sturmey-Archer HBT30 front hub
-Black Sun EQ31 rims
-Stolen Joint 26x2.2" tires, Gumwall. These jawns take 80psi. Should roll awesomely
ordered, not yet received
-Al's Rapid Transit Chrome Beach Cruiser 4130 Handlebar
gotta get:
-Spokes (probably 14g stainless Sapims with brass nerps)--still need to measure/calculate the right sizes
-Chainring bolts. I want to run black ones; all I have is chrome. I ordered some black ones, but somehow messed up and got the double-length jawns. Oh, well.
-Probably gonna wanna get cotton rim liners (at some point, I got hooked on those...); I'll need some presta tubes in 26x2.125 size, although really, i might already have them in the garage. Definitely want to run gold ano valve caps, but I can probably steel those from another bike.
-Seatclamp binder bolt. This frame has an integrated clamp; bummer b/c i have some gold ano 1.125" clamps that I would've run...

The idea is basically to build a classy-looking cruiser for bar hops and local rides on the street; I've always dug the black/chrome/gold bikes from the 80s, and here's my chance to go all-out and do that with this weird 80s cruiser frame of unknown heritage.

No real updates, unfortunately. I have all the parts, except spokes/nips and a seatbinder bolt. Gotta lace the wheels and send the frame out to powder. I'm in the process of buying a home, so I'm jammed up, both in terms of time and money. I ought to take a pic or 2 of the parts pile though....

IMG_0603.JPG IMG_0514.JPG
No real updates, unfortunately. I have all the parts, except spokes/nips and a seatbinder bolt. Gotta lace the wheels and send the frame out to powder. I'm in the process of buying a home, so I'm jammed up, both in terms of time and money. I ought to take a pic or 2 of the parts pile though....

Let's see some pics buddy I am building mine right now.

Latest posts

Back