1. The Renaissance Man

The Renaissance Man __CERTIFIED DIVER__ (Open Water & Open Dumpster)

Ah, that's what Carl was talking about too.
    This was just a Schwinn fork that I had handy so I just slapped it on. I didn't even realize that is was backwards. And the new aftermarket springers have no offset so I still need to get the actual fork that I plan to use before I finalize the shape of the tank.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    Dr. Tankenstein and GuitarlCarl like this.
  2. The Renaissance Man

While we're discussing the fork, this is a good time to bring up another demension to the concept for this project.

When I first decided to do a tank for the girls Stingray I discovered that the forks are not enterchangeable with the boys Stingray. Like most girls frame bikes the head tube is longer. But it is compatible with a 24" or 26" fork. So my plan has been to get an aftermarket bent springer (low rider fork) to replace the stock fork. I'm thinking that the stance will be about right even though it's a longer fork.
    [​IMG]

Here is the regular 26" springer on the frame. It actually gives it a bit of a chopper look.
    100_7385.JPG

3. GuitarlCarl

GuitarlCarl

personally I like the older style fork yoke that sticks the front end out just that extra bit. You could use the older yoke with a newer fork, if this was a one off, but I realize you're going for mass production... so yeah you're gonna need one of the easily available forks... Hey ah, got any plans for the older yoke?

Carl.

I have put a bent 26" on a 20" frame. Works fine.

biggraham likes this.
  4. The Renaissance Man

I'm with you on the vintage forks. They just don't make'm like they used to!

I do have to keep the end user in mind. My target demographic has been the lowrider crowd. They are the most likely group to customize a Stingray so the springer is a must!

The old springer will go back in the treasure chest for now!:happy:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  5. OddJob

OddJob

I hate to 'spring' this on you, but you're going to need a name for this new tank design. Although, the first Convertible tank doesn't really indicate that specific 'model' of tank, does it?
    You might need TWO names now. :21:

After a quick search for 'lowrider tank', I found these.

lowrider tank 3.jpg lowrider tank 2.jpg lowrider tank 1.jpg

It appears that one prerequisite might be lots of surface area on your tank for 'artistic expression' if the primary focus is the lowrider crowd.

6. The Renaissance Man

I haven't considered that. :39:
    I'll have some time to sort it out, this project is dragging along and I have some pressing jobs that are going to make things even slower in the near future.

So now I'm confused. After looking at it again and checking other examples I believe that the 'yoke' is in the correct position. I'm certainly no expert on Schwinn springers so maybe you and Carl know something that I don't. It will not affect this project for the reasons discussed already, but you've got me curious.

Here's a picture of a yoke in the same position as mine. It's a locking fork so I know with certainty that it is correct.
    springer knuckle.jpg

What am I missing here?:39:
    100_7386.JPG

GuitarlCarl likes this.
  7. GuitarlCarl

GuitarlCarl

Well, I went searching and I also believe you are right. But I would've bet it wasn't and lost. I know I've seen it reversed before and it almost certainly would have been here. Seems a classic rat move that would push the forks forward and give clearance at the headtube/tank...

Carl.

The Renaissance Man likes this.
  8. Dr. Tankenstein

Dr. Tankenstein

Sorry Jim!
    I’m not sure what was thinking.....

You’ll be fine.

Again, my apologies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. The Renaissance Man

No problem guys, I hadn't planned to use it on this bike anyway. Just stuck it on there to get a general idea.

I'm waiting for one of these to show up this week.:)
    [​IMG]

OddJob and GuitarlCarl like this.
  10. The Renaissance Man

The missing puzzle piece arrived today.
    Springer fork.jpg

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    Chad T, OddJob and RustyGold like this.
  11. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr

Koo Koo ka choo.

Rupert.

OddJob likes this.
  12. The Renaissance Man

Here it is.
    I don't think the fork will effect the tank very much after all. The fork would need to turn much farther than any normal steering would require before making contact with the frame.

The bent 26" springer fits the head tube and lowers the front end approximately 1/2" from what I can tell. The kick stand is still functional and there's very little difference in the pedal to ground clearance.

100_7398.JPG 100_7399.JPG

13. Jude Ephesus

Jude Ephesus

Super Cool.... did you have to order the forks special to accommodate the longer head tube of the girls bike?

14. sandman

sandman

Somewhere on the Web I saw a cool ad for
    TRM Convertible Tanks! on the top page ?
    But I didn't see anything about MB tanks ? :thumbsup:

15. OddJob

OddJob

The Tomboy. That's the name for your new muscle bike conversion tank.

You're welcome.

16. The Renaissance Man

The head tube is the same length as a mens 26" bike. This is a 26" fork on a 20" frame.

What is MB tanks? Muscle Bike?

Makes sense. :D

17. restodave

restodave

I like this as a girls bike, I'd somehow mount a shortie chrome fender in tight with the front wheel and call it done. On the other hand, what you have done with your original convertible tank is pretty impressive so I'll keep watching.

18. GuitarlCarl

GuitarlCarl

Yep, that's a great fork. Makes the mundane look awesome. IF you were looking for a name though, I'd go with something like Model 2. Let's you keep the TRM part the MAIN THING and stays gender neutral, important these days and doesn't sound dated. Tanks model 1 and model 2, what else ya got? Yeah the seat, what are you calling it?

Carl.

19. The Renaissance Man

I suppose the name for the tank right now is 'Concept' considering that I don't even know what the final shape will be!:21:

I'm liking the fork on the bike but looks can be deceiving.

First off, I know from experience that extending the trail this dramatically will make riding it very wonky. Like many custom bikes, it will not be a 'go to' bike for any normal riding.:shake:

The other thing is the fork itself. If any of you are familiar with this type of springer, you will notice that the spring alignment is vey mucked up.

Just look a the picture below and you'll clearly see the problem. The black dotted line shows the design failure. The top of the fork should have been longer so that the pivot bolts would line up with the center line of the spring bolt. Look how badly the rubber bushing is distorted after forcing the parts together on the bike.
    Fork flaw.jpg

I wondered about this photo from the feEbay listing before I bought it. Look how low the spring bracket is on the steer tube! I just assumed that the steer tube was extra long for whatever reason and would have to be cut off.
    [​IMG]
    I'm guessing that all of these Chinese springers are this way. Now I have another project ahead of me; fixing the crappy design on a brand new fork!:mad:
    And in case you are wondering, it has nothing to do with this being a 20" girls bike. I double checked the head tube measurement against a 26" Schwinn mens bike and they are exactly the same.

Hmm. Maybe that's the problem now that I'm thinking about it. Is it possible that Schwinn head tubes for 26" bikes are longer than normal? :39: Hopefully someone who has had success using these forks can chime in!

Chad T and OddJob like this.
  20. OddJob

OddJob

Schwinn? Being different in measurements, sizes of wheels / tires, head set bearings, seat posts?? Really? :21:

And, Model 1 and Model 2. Really? Boring.