Ultra Lightweight Cruizer Built From Scratch

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The frame is built out of 6061 T6 aluminum. First I annealed the tubing back to "O" condition (soft). Curved wood forms were made to bend the tubes on. The fork and chainstays were tapered at Hooker Headers on their hammer swage. Machined parts were done at Topline Cranks. The whole frame and girder fork were then heat treated and custom painted.

All aluminum frame & girder fork, Hed Jet Carbon mountain bike rims, custom billet aluminum coaster hubs, titanium bottom bracket, Topline cranks, wood block pedals, custom aluminum "Mooney" bars, etc. I think it weighed in around 18 pounds.

I made three sets of tubes for this project, one got cannibalized during the welding process so two bikes were finished.

I made the hubs as well. Billet machined out of 4 inch stock. The rear has Shimano coaster brake insides. HED Wheels donated the carbon rims.

The rear dropouts are designed to take a special rear hub brake arm that faces backwards and is hidden. Should have patented that idea.

CPO-cruiser.jpg

The most exotic part on this bike would go unnoticed, that is the Viking Titanium Chain. It took two chains too get enough length.

That bike is a work of art...love the fact that you made so much of it from scratch...even the hubs! :shock:

excellent!!! 8) i love girder forks! 18 pounds? do you realize how much fun it would be to smoke the spandex crowd with an old cruiser? :lol: i love the sleeper aspect of it, and its a sharp lookin ride!

Nice build - all the custom work can really be appreciated on this site. So I've been looking to outfit my bikes with "made in USA" components. There are indeed companies that make amazing components but I can't find a good coaster hub - any plans to sell your custom components? If so, we should talk. Nice pic in Oceanside - I live in Az but have family there - Love Cali. Respect.

Re: Ultra Lightweight Cruiser Built From Scratch

I see these posts and im like "really"! This dude machined his own hubs... because he could!

That bike and how it was built is amazing!

Yes it really was around 18 pounds. But then there was some crazy stuff thrown on it.
Lets see:
Titanium Chain
Carbon Rims
Titanium Bottom Bracket
Aluminum Headset
Aluminum Steering Column
Aluminum Frame and Fork
Titanium Railed Saddle
Aluminum Mooney Bars
Aluminum Stem with Ti Bolts
Aluminum Seatpost with Ti Bolt
Aluminum Hubs with Titanium Axles and Ti bolts (instead of nuts)
Aluminum Cranks and Chainrings with Ti Bolts

About the only common parts were the tires, tubes, and bar grips.

c.p.odom said:
Yes it really was around 18 pounds. But then there was some crazy stuff thrown on it.
Lets see:
Titanium Chain
Carbon Rims
Titanium Bottom Bracket
Aluminum Headset
Aluminum Steering Column
Aluminum Frame and fork
Titanium Railed Saddle
Aluminum Mooney Bars

:mrgreen:coulda drilled out the grips saved two ounces :mrgreen:

c.p.odom said:
Could have used Masterpoop on the design team!
yeah but i would have ruined the coolness by goin old school rat rodder and drilling out everything including the bearings and that already uber light chain and the spring in the fork pretty much everything :mrgreen:

masterpoop63 said:
c.p.odom said:
Lets see:
Titanium Chain
Carbon Rims
Titanium Bottom Bracket
Aluminum Headset
Aluminum Steering Column
Aluminum Frame and fork
Titanium Railed Saddle
Aluminum Mooney Bars

:mrgreen:coulda drilled out the grips saved two ounces :mrgreen:

No man, drill out the tires! that saves weight! Might loose a little in speed though...

Latest posts

Back