Two, 2 Speed Kickback Automatic Hubs

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two, 2 Speed Kickback Automatic Hubs. One red band Bendix and the other a yellow band. I paid $50 total on the C.L. for both of them (SCORE) :!:
I'm gonna end up flipping the yellow band on ebay to pay for the red one :)
DSCF2844.jpg

Do you know what the difference is between the two? I'm just curious as they look identical with the exception of the band color... is the red a two speed and the yellow a three? Nice find!

There were 3 different kick back hubs RED YELLOW BLUE, 2 two speeds and one three speed (BLUE). The power breaking is the difference. Apply break and it shifts :eek: So the better breaking in the red made a better shift.

I think they are all 2 speed, the blue was different in that you have a normal gear and a higher gear, and the red and yellow were the same, a regular gear and a lower gear. They all shifted the same way, kickback. There was another Bendix two speed without stripes, it used a shifter to go back and forth between the 2 gears.

i just threw a nice triple red band on the bay.
they bring in some good dough.
last one i sold i got like $80+ for it.

I think the red had a disc brake like system going on and the yellow a clamp press brake like style...I wouldn't count the non-striped one because it wasn't a kickback, rather a cable shifter. I have yet to even see a Blue one in person :) I havn't heard of a green one :eek: Does anyone know what that is like? yeah..These are hot! I saw one sell for $125 buy it now :shock:

Wildcat said:
I think they are all 2 speed, the blue was different in that you have a normal gear and a higher gear, and the red and yellow were the same, a regular gear and a lower gear. They all shifted the same way, kickback. There was another Bendix two speed without stripes, it used a shifter to go back and forth between the 2 gears.

Woah! I had no idea there were this many types and setups... I have the manually shifted two speed Wildcat described, and I love it! it is correct that it has no bands and is lever operated. I can adjust it so finely and the friction shifter setup is pretty ingenious. What is annoying, though, is that it brakes super fast in low gear and rather slow in high gear. I wouldn't mind the reverse! :lol:

2manybikes said:
deorman said:
Somewhere in my stuff is a wide flanged lever shift 2-spd hub w/ planetary low. Any info?
Probably a Bendix two speed manual
Definitely. I mean like age,what bikes?

A friend of mine had the LBS lace a 26 x 2.125 standard rim on his 2 speed, no problem. It came from a 26" lightweight schwinn wheel.

It may be a hoax, I've never heard of any other color than the blue, red, and yellow, but you never know. I don't think there is enough room for bigger springs in the hub, and they are pretty strong springs in the first place. I looked closer at the photo. The green paint goes a little out of the groove, so it is probably a hoax. It's a great story either way.

The more I ride my yellow band, the more I like it. Shifting becomes second nature after awhile. Mine is on a Schwinn wheel so I can't find wide enough tires, so I might have it laced to a standard rim.
2wgeln7.jpg

Yeah I notice the paint too now that you mention it...Oh well, I guess it's best to just research before you buy anything these days either way :wink:

I doubt the green banded hub is a hoax. Karfer is knowledgeable, and willing to share. While he could be feeding us all crapy info, he hasn't in the past.

Latest posts

Back