turnpike bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
i went for a ride on the abandoned PA turnpike last weekend.
i wanted to take my skinny schwinn but i'd seen pix of the road and its old and cracked and unmaintained. so i took one of my balloon tire bikes. now we're planning to go back next spring and i want to build another bike that will be spot on for it.
my 1st thought was to build a diamond frame 'cause i'd never built one of those for myself.
yesterday i picked up these guys for a good price.
IMG_4762_zpshm2fmfms.jpg

IMG_4761_zpsveb9fkgi.jpg

after i got them home i realised i didnt want to use either of them:13:
i climbed into my attic and pulled out this guy.
now were talking. i've built 3 camelback schwinns before and i love 'em. they just look cool and i'm a short guy.
IMG_4763_zpseye92kcq.jpg

this bike will be 27" w/ city type tires(not to fat,not to skinny).
single speed, 3pc crank and aggressive bars.
we'll see. no rush.
i got till spring to get it done.

I'll be watching here.
You mentioned doing something post apocalyptic, the thought has been in my head a while as well.

Can't wait to see what you come up with.

thanx guys.
this is the last schwinn camelback i built a couple years ago. i still have it and its a blast to ride.
the bike i biuld now will be kinda like this one, but more ruff street friendly and not as expensive. this frame was powdercoated and that new saddle was 100 clams.
IMG_5131_zps8975dcad.jpg

ok, heres my plans for now.
gonna use the green frame. maybe use the chrome fork off the red schwinn.
maybe use the brakes off the blue schwinn.
definitely use the front wheel off the red schwinn..i have a thing for high flange hubs:cool:
last nite when i was cleaning the front wheel i discovered the axle was bent.
i dug thru my parts bins and couldnt find a correct replacement. i'll find one in the next couple days.
tonite i'm gonna strip the green schwinn. pix in a day or 2...maybe:rolleyes:

if someone wants/needs the fork or chaingaurd or the crank assy for the cost of shipping hit me up in a PM.
if not i may throw the crank assy on the blue one and sell it...i dunno

i went to my favorite LBS this morning and got a proper axle.
i had a cool single speed freewheel rear wheel i wanted to use but it's on a 700 rim. i figured id lace it to a 27" rim. i asked my guy about it and he looked up a new wheel assy for me. it was cheap enough that it aint really worth the hassle of lacing up a new one, so he ordered it for me. we've been pals awhile so i get the good guy discount:thumbsup:
last night it removed the chaingaurd, kickstand, and crank assy. i bet that shed 5 or 6 lbs.
i wanted to use the chrome fork, but remembered this one i saved from a peugeot i stripped some time ago.
i orig wanted to use the bullhorn bar, but i may not...i got choices. i'll have to get it more complete and see how it feels.
IMG_4767_zpsxcf7m6np.jpg

so, it looks like the only parts i'll be using off the orig 2 doner diamond schwinns is the front wheel of the roadie and the brakes off the blue one. oh,well:p
i really wanted to use some cool centerpull brakes, but they just cant work.
i got my rear wheel today and swapped the bar. i think this is much better.
the only big dollar item i need is a freewheel gear(20-25 bucks).
than nickle & dime stuff like tubes & tires & cables. i think i can find everything else in my parts stash:rockout:
IMG_4768_zpssp6pep30.jpg

the crank assy, headtube hardware, and a few other small bits are going to TN.

I love the look of those frames, but at 17", they make ME a camelback--can't ride them for more than a few miles comfortably. Expect trade up to a bent-tube Sprint for my next project.

last week when i discovered i couldnt use the cool MAFAC racer brakes i wanted to use i decided not to use other "cool" parts i've been hoarding for just the right bike....like a cool old shimano crank assy.
i decided to use this one i kept from another bike i stripped.
not as cool but it'll work.
i got the freewheel gear sun and spaced the rear wheel last night. today i threw in this crank w/ the BB conv kit.
i aint thrown a chain on it yet, but it looks like it'll line up fine.
IMG_4782_zpsgcqhm7sk.jpg

i dont know why that pic of the sugino crank w/ the origin 8 chainring went away.
but here it is again just to show the before pic of what i did today.
pix tomorrow
IMG_4781_zpsqdmvmhnh.jpg

heres what i did yesterday. i done speed/lightening holes in car & motorcycle parts before but never on a bike. if you want to kill some time seach google images for drillium.
this is my first time so be easy on me. it took about 5 hours.
i bolted the chainring to a chunk of wood to find the center and lay out the holes.
than drilled and beveled the holes. the longest part was sanding and wet sanding off the brushed finish and than buffing and polishing.
IMG_4791_zpsusoq1cle.jpg

IMG_4794_zpsh1fxhe8g.jpg

IMG_4796_zpstiar7hx3.jpg

thanx guys.
this is the last schwinn camelback i built a couple years ago. i still have it and its a blast to ride.
the bike i biuld now will be kinda like this one, but more ruff street friendly and not as expensive. this frame was powdercoated and that new saddle was 100 clams.
IMG_5131_zps8975dcad.jpg
Wow, that's nice!

Latest posts

Back