Truss Rod Inquiry

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin B

Bicycle Demolitionist
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never seem those before, looks to be an interesting set up.

They look flimsy, especially the mount. They could be hollow like on the reproduction Columbias they are selling now. I make my own from a mild steel rod from the hardware store. I cut a slot in the rod and weld in an old fork centering washer from a cheap bike. Then I thread the other end and put on a chrome acorn nut. I make a top mount out of steel angle iron that I grind to look wavy and rounded. The bend is the hard part, you have to work slowly and once you have it and both sides the same you cut the end off and then thread it. You have to bend the angle so it fits the angle that the truss rods are coming into the top mount. Takes a few hours in total as I work slow.

They look flimsy, especially the mount. They could be hollow like on the reproduction Columbias they are selling now. I make my own from a mild steel rod from the hardware store. I cut a slot in the rod and weld in an old fork centering washer from a cheap bike. Then I thread the other end and put on a chrome acorn nut. I make a top mount out of steel angle iron that I grind to look wavy and rounded. The bend is the hard part, you have to work slowly and once you have it and both sides the same you cut the end off and then thread it. You have to bend the angle so it fits the angle that the truss rods are coming into the top mount. Takes a few hours in total as I work slow.

US56456712, you got any pictures of that angle iron truss mount? Thanks!

US56456712, you got any pictures of that angle iron truss mount? Thanks!
I have a lot of bikes in a small space so I don't know if my photos will help much.
The green bike has homemade truss rods and mount but it is all the way behind all the bikes in the foreground.
IMG_1578.JPG

I pushed all the bikes aside and put the camera in as best I could. Here is an example of the mount made from an old bed frame angle iron. This is just right as it is not too heavy or flimsy.
IMG_1577.JPG

Homemade water bottle cage mount is on top of the truss mount.
IMG_1576.JPG

More homemade truss rods from steel bar stock, chrome acorn nuts and tapered front axle washers.
IMG_1571.JPG

The mount for the same homemade truss rods. Use flat steel stock, hole saw, rat tail file to finish fit the steerer, hacksaw the flat stock, fold the tab over in a vice, finish grind and file the curves. Everything except the nuts are painted silver.
IMG_1572.JPG

Last edited:
I have a lot of bikes in a small space so I don't know if my photos will help much.
The green bike has homemade truss rods and mount but it is all the way behind all the bikes in the foreground.
View attachment 99366
I pushed all the bikes aside and put the camera in as best I could. Here is an example of the mount made from an old bed frame angle iron. This is just right as it is not too heavy or flimsy.
View attachment 99367
Homemade water bottle cage mount is on top of the truss mount.
View attachment 99368
More homemade truss rods from steel bar stock, chrome acorn nuts and tapered front axle washers.
View attachment 99369
The mount for the same homemade truss rods. Use flat steel stock, hole saw, rat tail file to finish fit the steerer, hacksaw the flat stock, fold the tab over in a vice, finish grind and file the curves. Everything except the nuts are painted silver.
View attachment 99370
Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back