Trek MT 220

Discussion in 'BIKE I.D. & VALUATION QUESTIONS' started by Psychographic, Oct 20, 2019.

1. Psychographic

Psychographic

I was asked to help build a rotating thingamabob for drying glaze on mugs using gears from a bike. I was given a Trek MT220 to steal the gears from. So I decided to keep the bike and use a freewheel from a cheap Walmart bike. The Trek will probably clean up well and everything on it works fine. It's way too small for me as is and thought I might make a muscle bike out of it. Unfortunately I can't find any info on it, is it a desirable bike? I could trade it with a local used bike shop near me, find a kid who needs a bike (although i don't know anyone who has kids young enough for it), or join the MBBO.

What would you do with it?

2. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr

That's a decent little bike. However, if it's the girl's model from 05-07, you might want to look into a recall. Apparently, not welded properly, unsafe to ride. If it is a recall bike, there is no gusset on the downtube at the steering tube. Gusset? It's all good! That being said, if it was a boy's frame, I'd keep it, I got a little guy just about ready for that size. If you don't have anybody coming up, I'd say donate or sell, and earn feel-good points. Or build something cool, then donate! Winner winner chicken dinner!

Psychographic likes this.
  3. Psychographic

Psychographic

It's a boys bike. I think the parts I could steal off it are worth more than I could sell or trade it for. It's an aluminum frame, so it has to stay stock, that leaves bolt on stuff.

4. RustySprockets

RustySprockets

They're decent little bikes for youths, especially those transitioning to a multi-speed bike and lever brakes. That said, it isn't collectable and I doubt it ever will be.

Psychographic likes this.