Trek 800 mountain track

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys. - picked up a trek 800 mountain track - it's a full rigid - has a bent front fork - ( too bad to fix ) - but frame is ok , no cracks , looking to replace it with another rigid fork , but don't know what size I need - how do I determine the size ?

also looking to figure out what year it is .... serial # is WTU2163332P

Last edited:
016_zpsa7899034.jpg

017_zpsff47a026.jpg

018_zps80e96562.jpg

019_zps73887214.jpg

if ya'll think it aint gonna run and gun like this , suggestions on a new crank set up ? whats the current opinions on the altus set -up ?? i plan on local , light to medium trail riding on well groomed trails ( some paved even , but most dirt-track ) .... no road riding planned with this

and once i get a new fork , how is the bottom bearing race removed ? never swapped one out before ?

bought a set that i thought would work , but they are 1/2 inch too short - i need 7 1/4 " steer tube .... darnnit

7 1/4 X 1" threaded?
I will look at big daddy's today, but....you can most likely get new, for the same price, or nearly as just shipping!

bought a thread-less conversion head set and gonna use a rock shox judy set i picked up - ive never done one before though , so kinda intinidated a little bit on the conversion - i have a park stand ( pcs 9 ) and the park pro tool set so i should have everything i need - but still kinda ant-sy about it

ok - question time - i bought a 1 1/8 manitu AXEL suspension fork and a threadless headset adapter set - the currect headset is 1 inch stuff- can i punch out the cups and install the 1 1/8 stuff and have it fit ?

Last edited:
If that's a 1" head on it now, you won't be able to run 1.125" without welding in a new headtube. The old-school US-style 1" can be adapted to 1,125" threadless, but your Trek has the euro-sized 1" set-up.... won't work. :(

1998 model... Nice score on the USA made frame. 800's were only made in Wisconsin for a short period of time until they went back overseas. Crank should be OK. The teeth were cut like that to make shifting quicker.

Latest posts

Back