TREK 700 - Bringing back an unfinished project...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
IMG_0048.JPG
IMG_0049.JPG

This forlorn Trek 700 (hidden behind the orange Mongoose) was a project of my late brothers. I believe it's a 1988 model. All I have is the 19" frame with fork, canti brakes and looks like a new unused Shimano crankset - still wrapped in plastic. Crank bearings spin super smooth I bet he replaced them.
IMG_0136.JPG

This was another of those infamous police auction bikes. IDK where the original 700c wheels went but they could of been fubar.
DSC00012.JPG

Good bones.
DSC00009.JPG

Found some old Schwinn? 27" wheels and they seem to fit.... :whistle:
DSC00007.JPG
DSC00010.JPG

DSCF8125.JPG

Got the Schwinn wheels cleaned up and fairly true. Many spokes had to be freed up! Found a couple of used tires and tubes too.
I think these were from a old Giant or Panasonic built Schwinn.
DSCF8115.JPG
DSCF8122.JPG

The center of the rear hub is pretty beat up looks like a Schwinn logo then printed underneath, made in Japan.
DSCF8126.JPG

Wheels are steel made by FEMCO.
DSCF8118.JPG

Suntour 5 speed freewheel freed up easily with a little 3 in 1 oil.
DSCF8109.JPG

Found this in my late brother's stash. Looks NOS. And should be much better than a big box bike derailleur. :113:

Sadly, there was another front wheel with a cool high-flange hub but busted a spoke trying to free 'em up. :cry:

Last edited:
DSCF8136.JPG

Serial seems to be 1993 mfg but paint looks like 1992 700 found online...
30370400753_7fb2e85356_z.jpg

DSCF8141.JPG

IDK if the Trek paint is deteriorating, or if previous owner touched it up with flat white paint? Could be house paint or white out - pretty easy to scratch that's for sure.
I'm still deliberating on gear ratios for the crank.

DSCF8161.JPG

Coming right along. Digging around in my brothers stash, I found some old SunTour derailleurs. They look almost NOS condition.
DSCF8146.JPG
DSCF8171.JPG

The seat binder bolt mounted brake cable stop hanger for the rear caliper brakes was long gone so I made my own out of an old brake arm..
DSCF8172.JPG
DSCF8181.JPG
DSCF8179.JPG

A 52t crankset will yield 50 to 100 gear inches. 2 options.
1. Super Maxy.
DSCF8153.JPG
DSCF8148.JPG

Or 2. Deore with Biopace.
DSCF8159.JPG
DSCF8162.JPG

Super Maxy has less offset. Have to see what the chain line looks like. Surprised these cranksets will clear the frame, they won't fit my typical mt. bikes.

I like the look of the Deore. I'm undecided on the biopace ovals. Some say that they ruin knees, but I'm skeptical about that. Probably depends on how much/how hard you push with them

I like the look of the Deore. I'm undecided on the biopace ovals. Some say that they ruin knees, but I'm skeptical about that. Probably depends on how much/how hard you push with them
Thanks! I like the OvalTech by SR Sakae XCE Crankset on my GT Arette.
https://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/90s-gt-arette-some-upgrades.112608/#post-1166355

index.php

I'm a Clyde and would rather power up a hill than spin up it. Seems like the oval works to my advantage.
index.php

This thing is a bit of an odd duck. It's only 160mm (usually run 170 and up) cranks so there is that. :giggle:

Decided on the bio pace cranks. Put some used chain on there and hooked up the Suntour derailer with a Deore sis thumbie. Even though it's got a shorter cage length it shifts just great! Even shifts fine on the smaller front ring so thats a plus. :thumbsup:
DSCF8182.JPG

After goofy issues with the 6 speed Shimano sis Deore thumbie vs SunTour 5 speed hub, I finally switched it to friction and it's much better, so I'm going to run friction shifters on both the front and rear derailleurs! :emo:

Pretty much did as much as I can do on this till weather permits a test drive.
DSCF8212.JPG
DSCF8204.JPG
DSCF8201.JPG

IDK about the rear rack or the bars. Looking at this pic, if I adjust the stainless straps a little bit I can get the rack to be horizontal. It's a trek rack. :)

Latest posts

Back