trailer vision

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Can anyone else visualize a carpentry trailer here.. I just cant see spending at a minimum $1,500.00 for a used cargo trailer made out of tin that will likely need a bunch of work. This thing definitely needs more than a little tlc but it has good bones and its built like a tank. Roof has a added layer of aluminum and inside is fairly dry. Floor and frame is solid. Couple of rusty area's on the body but they don't appear to be through, the only area that concerns me is under the drip rail on the side wall, but the inside is dry behind it. Dual axle with leaf springs and brakes that are likely junk. Awning windows aren't seized, I think PB blaster would bring them back. Door is shot but I see a nice fir door with polyurethane finish Most of the windows have been changed out for plywood, dark tinted Lexan might be nicer. License plate is dated 1978.

Front end

back end

I'm thinking I would cut the whole back panel to work as hatch which would also provide a shaded area to eat lunch, review plans etc.

It was an old bread box camper. Something like late 30's - early 40's. I've seen some similar looking trailers but none with the raised roof. At some point it was gutted and turned into a handyman's trailer or something along those lines. Inside is full of shelving, bunch of overhead lighting was added. Looks like a days work just to get it out. There's a few things between it and the road. I'd need to jack it up and either get some tires under it or flat bed it out.

It would be great to bring it back to camper. Lots of potential there too. I think I could do what modification I need without prohibiting that from being an option down the road. Get it weather tight again, tires and brakes, better storage/shelving, some lighting. Even making the rear into a hatch back wouldn't totally ruin it as a camper.

Hoping to go see the guy this Saturday and start talking deal...

I might be in luck for tires, my summer tires on the Astro (15") are worn such that I wont be remounting them next year and if the rims are 16" I have set off my old Forester. I forgot to check tire size when I was there last, probably 15's.

I'm wishing I had a big compressor and sand blaster...

Cool! I've seen some 60s campers around here that would be good for that. Of course first, I'd need a vehicle stout enough to tow one! -Adam

Latest posts

Back