Touring Bike build off

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to see some touring bike builds. I have a nice old Higgins that I would love to build into a touring rat. I'm thinking no frame cutting. Using existing cycle/trike frames. Welding allowed for things like racks or cargo carrying devices.

like a cargo bike? that would be interesting to see. i couldn't play since i'm more at the end of my projects already, plus i did some fairly major frame altering and welding.

so if this is a good start then im in lets get it down off the bike hooks whos ready :p
DSCN1086.jpg
DSCN1087.jpg
sensation2.jpg
sensation.jpg
DSCN1084.jpg
:?:

Yeeeaah, uh, I've got to finish the one I'm working on now. Then the wife's, then my friends wife, then my wife again. Whew! Then me again. :lol: :lol:

Come on you guys, you know you want to!!! Think about all the stories from the 1920's and earlier of folks riding around the world. No mail, let alone telegraph. They carried Webley six-shooters and such for protection. There was a gent from California who rode around the world on a high-wheeler. Got caught on a trestle bridge by a train and had to crouch on one of the legs dangling his bike over the edge with one hand and hanging on with the other.

Having said all that, I'm drove up with projects for other folks. :( Have fun!!

I'll be getting this bike soon from Double Nickle.
Don't know if it qualifies but it's the closest to touring that I have.
I might be in, it depends on how much time we have.
PB231245.jpg

Count me in too. My daughter wants to build a bike she can ride with her friends who have road bikes, but wanted a vintage bike. I just happen to have a 1965 continental I made a cruiser out of that would be the right size for her. 23" frame on the coppertone Schwinn. So it will be entered in this build off if it happens. While it might not be that rat, it will be pretty cool. We've already talked about what kind of bars and wheels, all in my big pile of stuff in the garage.

mto2nr.jpg

jalopyjimmy13 said:
so whats up kickback?
I haven't received the bike yet but will within this next week.
I'm planing on staying as close to original to the bike as possible
so my build shouldn't take too long. So it depends on how much time you think
you need. If it was up to me I would have it last till the beginning of Feb.
Since I'll be having a 2 week long break I should have time to do it. Then
I'll just work on the weekends after.

We should somehow advertise this thread so more people participate to make it a little more interesting. Everyone has to have at least one or two touring bikes they've been wanting to build.
And I'm really pumped about it. I've been wanting to have a skinny tired cruiser for a while now, and later on in the bikes life I'm planning on adding a chicken power motor but that will have to wait.
-Jack

Latest posts

Back