Tornado

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I guess this will be my entry. A 1960 Schwinn Tornado.
When I got it a couple years ago I took this photo, got the serial #, broke it down and stashed it in the attic. Didn't really inspect it closely. Been a while since I've seen it. Soon as I make some room in the garage I'll get it down and get started.

01.jpg

Last edited:
Well after getting it down from the attic I see all that I saved from it was the frame and chainguard. I guess that'll make for a better rat-rod.
The seat stays evidentally had broken at one time and have been poorly re welded.
The pic of the headtube you can see the original color.

02.jpg

Last edited:
Well... I had an idea that I thought was kind of a unique twist on the rat-rod style but after thinking about it more I've decided this idea isn't right for this frame. So I've come up with another plan for for this frame. A "theme" bike which the general theme I have already done once before. I just seem to need to have a "theme" in mind when building.
Although a "theme" bike it will be done in rat-rod style, on the cheap using all the old/used parts I can, rattle can painted etc...

The original idea I'll save for a future RRBBO.

Now I just hope I get warm enough weather to paint before the deadline. A low of 5 tonight.

Oh and of course every day that goes by that I don't get a coat of paint on increases the chance that I'll change my mind again.

Sure enough I've changed my mind again. I think I'm going back to my original plan. Here's what I was going to do though.
ford_small4.jpg

It's themed after a friends Ford 8N tractor. Just didin't feel it was right for the RRBBO. I had been wanting to do this theme for a while. Maybe in the future. Now back to building something rat-rodish.

Well I would like to explain what I'm doing and where I'm going but I don't know. Piddled around a little tonight. Spent most the evening crawling on the cold garage floor looking for dropped head badge screws :x
P0005581.jpg

Disassembled another wheel to be painted.

1.JPG

Put a few parts on the bike just so I could stare at it and see what I might want to do.

Last edited:
06.jpg

I had this larged flanged hub I wanted to use for the front. Turned out it was for heavy-duty spokes but I went ahead and laced it up with regular spokes. I'm hoping it won't be a problem.

Last night I laced the rear rim to a Bendix 2spd kickback.
05.jpg

Last edited:
The mechanic I go to built a wheel with a hub for the heavy duty spokes and he used regular spokes but added little washers that were barely noticeable.

Can't wait to see the finished product!

Latest posts

Back