Top Speed on a Beast

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bill in Houston said:
mikeeebikey said:
Over or at 1 horse power is more than humanly possible, we lack the bone structure for so much muscle mass.
Don't sell yourselves short!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human-pow ... scle_power
Thanks for the linky, we humans are weaker than I thought!
Don't for get to move the decimal for watts to Kw when doing the math!
.745 hp is the figure I came up with for a sprinter pushing out 2000 watts....

I did some measuring and came up with some solid numbers. The tire is 30" tall. With the 36/18, I measured the rotations. For every 1 rotation of the cranks, the tire (bike) traveled 16 feet. Knowing that should make the rest of the equation easy. How fast do you turn the cranks to do 25mph? I'm still working on it, but will have an answer in the near future. I'm using areas of brain long dormant. My guess is about 75.

Ok, here it is!

You need 330 cranks for 1 mile on the Beast.

25 miles is 132,000 feet.

You must travel 2200 feet per minute to make 25 mph.

To travel 25 miles in one hour on a Beast, you must be cranking at 82.5 RPM.

I'm going to take an early nap.

About to bust your record :shock:

482404_10151592391468211_1557788990_n.jpg

bring it, Grams!

Wow, that is a great FatWally, what with all the gears and brakes and stuff. You'v been holding out on us.

mm hmm, looks like same tires and wheels for sure, and the angle of the top tube and ridiculously long chainstays make the frame look pretty beasty, too. but i think everything else has been replaced.

where on facebook was that photo posted?

It was a beast. Different fork so they could use a disk brake ....different rear
triangle with different dropouts for the multi speed and electric motor. I bet
that is fun, even though it looks a little busy, with all the extra junk. :shock:

I routinely pedal at 90 - 120 rpm. That's from years of racing training. "Spin to Win". Higher rpms means far less stress on the knees and muscles. I've maxed out at 220 rpm on the trainer for 30 second bursts. Using clip in pedals surely helps up the rpms and power output as you use more muscle groups in your legs so each muscle group has to do less work.

Shorter crank arms = higher rpms too but less leverage.

Rick

Uncle Stretch said:
It was a beast. Different fork so they could use a disk brake ....different rear
triangle with different dropouts for the multi speed and electric motor. I bet
that is fun, even though it looks a little busy, with all the extra junk. :shock:

The orange bike is a TommiSea brand fatbike. Definitely not a Mongoose Beast.

Latest posts

Back