Tire size Q

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been mulling over building a SS klunker from an old frame. I know 26" was the most prevalent size for such bikes, but were there ever any made with larger diameter wheels? I saw on another thread here where someone had installed 27.5" wheels on an old Phantom frame. Will any of the old Schwinns take larger wheels, or only certain models? I have my eye on a couple of different frames, but I want to make sure I can do what I want before I proceed.

Tony

I've been mulling over building a SS klunker from an old frame. I know 26" was the most prevalent size for such bikes, but were there ever any made with larger diameter wheels? I saw on another thread here where someone had installed 27.5" wheels on an old Phantom frame. Will any of the old Schwinns take larger wheels, or only certain models? I have my eye on a couple of different frames, but I want to make sure I can do what I want before I proceed.

Tony
I put 700c x 40 rims and tires on an old Columbia cruiser. Put on a Sugino crank and BMX freewheel. It rides awesome. Probably better not to use a middle weight frame. Full sized would be better but Schwinn middle weights seem to have as much wheel clearance as other brands full size frames.

Actual rim diameters of mountain bike wheel sizes
  • 26in = 22in
  • 27.5in = 23in
  • 29in = 24.5in
The size we talk about is what the tire measures in height. So they figure about 2 to 2.25 inches in height of your tire added to the rim. I could have brought rims over in my suitcase, but went by 26", too big, but 22" isn't.
So, going from a 26" to 27.5 adds 1.5 inches of diameter, or more importantly; the radius, only 3/4" more from the axle mount to the frame, so they should fit. Same goes for the fork clearance. Width might be an issue with fatter tires. Fenders are probably out of the question. Rim brakes may not line up with the wheel. Your SS would be the way to go with no front brake.
You'll have more pedal clearance to the ground.

Thanks for the replies. I guess I phrased my question incorrectly; I know the measurement we use is for the tire outer diameter, which actually changes based on the tire width. The 700C by 40 sounds interesting. In both of my current bikes, I ride a large (20" & 20.5") frame. One is a 700C and one is a 27.5. How does one know if a Schwinn frame is middle weight or full size? Is it based on seat tube height, or some other measurement?

If you are thinking of a Phantom type frame, the classic cantilever Schwinn, the size is usually 18 inches, fairly small by today's standards. Most guys need the seat stem raised way up to ride comfortably. My 53 Schwinn had a stuck seat post but it was almost the right height so I went with it.
20064_a42e20ada2683e742298ab289757bebe.jpg

The two types of Schwinn cantilever frames are middle weight and ballooner. Same frame height only ballooner can take wider tires. Schwinn did have a king size cruiser, offered in the early 60's, with a frame 2" taller at 20". But those are not common. Schwinn diamond frames came in many sizes, but the cruiser style frame was the same size on many different models.

Might as well keep this one going.
Will 26" S2/balloon's fit on a middleweight frame ? Thinking of putting them on a '62 Typhoon build.

I've put 26 x 2.125 on a few middleweight frames. Fenders might not fit, but others have made fenders work with the wider tires. The Schwinn middleweights use the S7 rim, which is a tad larger in diameter than a standard 26" rim. So you can't squeeze regular 26" tires on them. The size is listed as a fraction, not a decimal number. 26 x 1 3/4 would be an S7 tire, 26 x 1.75 would be a standard size. Why? You had to buy their tires back then.
But S2 and standard wheels will fit and use standard tires, and give you a tiny bit more room for bigger tires. This is my 1980 middleweight Typhoon with 26 x 2.125 tires, they fit easily but I never tried to put fenders on. The wheels are regular 26" that you would find on beach cruisers.

2zso5g3.jpg

I have had 26 x 2.3 tires on my Typhoon but front forks are LANDING GEAR. Not sure if a 2.30 will clear standard forks. Rear clears frame fine.

Schwinn did have a king size cruiser, offered in the early 60's, with a frame 2" taller at 20". But those are not common.
In the late 90's/early 2000's the Cruiser Supreme was available in a limited number of 22" frames.

Here is my Y2K 22" Supreme now.

20210225_100819.jpg

Back again with more tire size ruminations. I stripped the goodies from the frame I called Big Red to build up the new Budnitz frame I've been riding. I've thought numerous times about trying to sell the old red frame, but being heavier carbon steel, I doubt I'd get much, even if I included the Surly Bridge Club fork currently on it. I think my wife is mildly annoyed because she saw the stripped frame and thinks I'm stuck with it. However, the wheels have been turning, and Big Red is about to get a new lease on life (do I really need a 4th bike?). Although the frame was designed for 700C (700x50 fits with room to spare), I originally rode it with 27.5x2.1 and 650Bx47 tires. I've bit the bullet and ordered a set of NOS 26" double wall alloy rims with 24mm internal width. I'm going to lace up a set of ISO 559 disc wheels, and this will give me bikes with 700C, 650B, and 26" setups. With a 21.5" seat tube, this frame will be a bit tall for 26" wheels, but I'm going to stuff the widest 26" tires that will fit. Using bikecalc.com, it looks like the radius of a 26x2.3 tire is about 13.3", and when I measure my frame, that looks like it would be very close. Might have to give up on the idea of using Fat Franks.

Anyone have any recommendations on 26" tires in the 2.125" or 2.2" range? I see various offerings from Maxxis, Kenda, Duro, Sunlite, CST, etc. I don't want to pay premium $$, but I don't want ultra cheap, either. I'm not a mountain biker, but I sometimes go off-road for short stretches, I do some side street and sidewalk riding, and a fair bit of gravel on rail trails. Don't want slicks, either. I've seen tires listed as "official Schwinn replacement" listed on Amazon. My rims are 24mm internal width.

Kenda K-Rads are great cheaper all-arounders.

Other tires I like in that size range from not $$$ to $$...
Halo Twin Rails (all-arounders, hard to find, and not cheap)
Halo H-Blocks (very similar to the above, but slightly less street slightly more dirt)
Cult-Vans (street oriented, many color/style choices)
Kenda Small Block 8s (all-arounder...can be a little buzzy)

Depends on use more than anything.

Kenda K-Rads are great cheaper all-arounders.

Other tires I like in that size range from not $$$ to $$...
Halo Twin Rails (all-arounders, hard to find, and not cheap)
Halo H-Blocks (very similar to the above, but slightly less street slightly more dirt)
Cult-Vans (street oriented, many color/style choices)
Kenda Small Block 8s (all-arounder...can be a little buzzy)

Depends on use more than anything.
Agreed. K Rad or the SB8's are great choices

Anyone have any recommendations on 26" tires in the 2.125" or 2.2" range? I see various offerings from Maxxis, Kenda, Duro, Sunlite, CST, etc. I don't want to pay premium $$, but I don't want ultra cheap, either. I'm not a mountain biker, but I sometimes go off-road for short stretches, I do some side street and sidewalk riding, and a fair bit of gravel on rail trails. Don't want slicks, either. I've seen tires listed as "official Schwinn replacement" listed on Amazon. My rims are 24mm internal width.
I recently put 26 x 2.2 Maxxis Holy Roller's on my daily rider. I do the same type of riding as you. Great all around tire, And pretty quiet on pavement. It's a fast rolling tire. So far I really like it.

I recently put 26 x 2.2 Maxxis Holy Roller's on my daily rider. I do the same type of riding as you. Great all around tire, And pretty quiet on pavement. It's a fast rolling tire. So far I really like it.
Great all arounder as well!

Latest posts

Back