Tighten spokes on Schwinn tubular rim?

Discussion in 'HOW TO' started by horsefarmer, Dec 17, 2019.

1. horsefarmer

horsefarmer

Moving wheelset from 1970's Breeze to 1958 Racer. Breeze sat on garage floor for many years and tires were flat so long that I thought they would never become round again, but slowly they came back. Original Schwinn made in USA tires look so good that after sitting at my place for a year I thought I replaced them.:rofl:

The thing is this bike had little use and wheels spin true, but some spokes are loose and I'm unsure if I should fool with them or leave 'em alone. Think I've seen this before on old bikes with steel rims, they are so stiff you can loose a spoke or 2 and not notice...

Grant likes this.
  2. AndyA

AndyA

If the wheels spin true as-is, my approach is usually to barely snug up any spokes that are rattling around, ride the bike a bit, check if things are still spinning OK, and adjust as necessary.

RivNut and deorman like this.
  3. us56456712

us56456712

The middle of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan
    I don't know if Schwinn was still making their own rims in 1970. The Schwinn factory fabricated rims from the 1950s are so strong that you can tighten the spokes pretty much any way you want and they stay true.