Three wheel tricycle tire change

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello.. I need help. I have never done anything to a bike in my life. Recently I gained possession of an adult three wheel, older model, 70's? Schwinn tricycle (for my handicapped son). Good shape but the tires were shot. I bought new ones. I successfully changed the front tire and the left rear (left, facing the trike) The right tire is on a wheel (I think called a bendix?) and that wheel has it's own little chain on it, besides the big chain running down the mddle. It also has a wire running into it and that wire goes the length of the trike up to the handle bars and a little switch (gear?). I took off the nuts and washers (like I did the other wheels) but it is still stuck onto the trike. Do I need to get that wheel completely off or can manuever the old tire off and the new on between the frame? I don't know what to do next to get that wheel off. I don't want to mess it up. GO easy on the bike terminology please, I am a girl with no experience.

We could really use some good pics so we can see what's going on. Sounds like you might have a two speed lever action Bendix hub. ?? Gary

You might need to remove the shifter from the handlebars so you can more easily maneuver the wheel around as you remove it, but you should still be able to loosen the nuts enough to remove the wheel from the frame. With the wheel axle still sitting in the dropouts(that part the wheels bolt into), there is no way to get the tire off of and onto it.

Im just confused as to why ya gotta pull the axle out and take the back of the trike apart just to change a tire...

...OR do ya mean the rim?

It sounds like a 1 wheel drive trike with a geared hub if it is you will have to release the wheel undo the gear linkage and remove the chain, most trikes have a central drive with a solid axle and the wheels are just held on by a nut with a flange on the drive side

As thay say a pic speaks a thousand words

Im just trying to follow along and help out if I can...and YES pics will help

Latest posts

Back