This weird "reserved" trend

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can we please agree to do away with the "reserved" spaces on your threads? When I click on your thread, it opens up to the last comment I saw when I last looked at your build, so I'm never going to remember to go back and look at what you added. Never. This goes for "for sale" threads, as well.

Thank you, and have a wonderful build off.

I don't mind it, I hate having to flip through 30 pages of comments to see one or two pictures of some progress, this way it's all on the front page...

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

its for quick upcomming posts ;) that way , first time you see the thread , you have 2 or 3 posts related dirrectly to the project .. i personally think its brilliant and did the same , sorry ! ;)

It's not a new trend. Personally I have been doing it since BO7 and I copied the idea from others. If you have certain items you want to be at the beginning of your thread, it's the only way to make space.

In regards to the sale threads, it is the only way to adhere to the Three Sale Thread limit when you have a lot of items to sell. The practice has been used for years now.

I understand that it causes some scrolling inconvenience when a thread is first posted, but it is necessary for some of us.

Also, Whenever I fill in the Reserved posts, I always add a new post at the end stating a piece was updated on page one.

I'll agree to do away with whining, if everyone else will.
It wont happen.

I personally think it is a good idea on sale threads, but don't like it at all on build threads... Some builds have lost my vote because of it...

Luke.

I considered doing it when I set my thread up, but I figured if I really wanted any updates up top, I could just edit my original post a bit.

My intent for the "RESERVED" space was to make a table of contents/update index for the build thread. I was thinking a kind of "Update #: What changed - Post #" kind of thing. But, yeah I hadn't thought about most of the returning viewers being sent straight to the new content. I'll probably include a link to that post so people wouldn't have to search through the whole thread to find some part or step they remembered but couldn't find. I know my thread got kind of lost on the last BO that I did, so I wanted to try a new way to keep everyone updated. Having just started, a single entry to the list seemed kind of redundant, thus the RESERVED tag to start.

I think when I do my finished thread my first post will be reserved for final photos.
The reasoning for it is my wife and I are still planning our summer travels, and I'm hoping my bike is finished enough to ride before we leave so I can take it with us.
If it is maybe my final pic will be at one of Savannahs many fountains, or near area 51, or somewhere in the pacific northwest with bigfoot in the background.
Who knows.

I've seen some of the 'reserved' placeholders.
It doesn't bother me,I understand it's so things are in chronological order.
If you hover over the builds section...and it probably applies for a build off section, it says" keep a record of your build here" (something like that)
Perhaps some just want an online record of their build..to show to others, maybe just a few.. and / or refer to later for themselves. It's great to get feedback from others, i get this, but aren't' we really challenging "ourselves" with a build? not putting it out there for criticism from others'. A little scrolling never hurt anyone. :bigsmile: Seems like nit picking to me.
In actuality tho, it's probably more of a problem for those that do all of their work by phone, rather than on a computer anyway.
:happy:
smile.
Franco

I've seen some of the 'reserved' placeholders.
It doesn't bother me,I understand it's so things are in chronological order.
If you hover over the builds section...and it probably applies for a build off section, it says" keep a record of your build here" (something like that)
Perhaps some just want an online record of their build..to show to others, maybe just a few.. and / or refer to later for themselves. It's great to get feedback from others, i get this, but aren't' we really challenging "ourselves" with a build? not putting it out there for criticism from others'. A little scrolling never hurt anyone. :bigsmile: Seems like nit picking to me.
In actuality tho, it's probably more of a problem for those that do all of their work by phone, rather than on a computer anyway.
:happy:
smile.
Franco
I actually make all of my posts with my phone, including this one. I prefer it over using a computer, not just because I don't own a computer; but because it's easier to make posts as I'm building.
As far as building to challenge ourselves, not be criticized. Every build for me is a bit of a challenge, I know I'm just bolting parts together; but some of those parts were never intended to be together. Like the tank and fork I'm currently using in the build off.
When it comes to be criticized for what I'm doing, I have no issues with that; I actually like getting the criticism. It might push me one day into building a bike I think other people might want, rather than just build for myself.

The reserved thing doesn't bother me, but I think a build thread should flow in build order. If someone wants to reserve the beginning of their thread to show all the progress of the build to make it easier to look through later I'm cool with that, I had to look through KF's flexliner build thread to see how he did his suspension on that bike. It would have been nice if it was on page one, but then again I kind of enjoy reading through all the archives too.:soapbox:

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually skip the threads that do this. I guess I didn't really give it much thought before, but I'm pretty sure I really despise it deep inside now ... Thanks :D

There is no need to have a reserved place.
It's called editing.
I do see it as an easy tool for sale threads...
BUT if you are going to go thru the hassle of changing them to sold, (which you should do) you may as well add your new parts/bikes for sale and eventually/soon delete the sold items anyway...and...
It's just as easy to edit your first post to include all your upcoming info, if it's so important that it has to be there, but you didn't have it when you first posted...
Reservations are for restaurants...

Carl.

Latest posts

Back