This ChoppersUS hub work to add Front Disc Brakes to a Beast?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this the hub that people are using to add front Disc Brakes to a Mongoose Beast?

http://www.choppersus.com/store/product/820/Wide-Hub-Freewheel-Disc-BLK/

I'm looking into adding Brakes to my Beast & My Wifes Bike (A Sun Crusher) since we have a Trailer-Bike that we tote our 4 year old around on....stopping with a Coaster brake is not the best way when having our toddler in tow.

+1 on the hub Tater mentioned above. Thats the one I got and it works great. You can even use the stock spokes if your comfortable with a reverse spiral spoke pattern. It's a bit heavy, but not too bad.

The hub in the first post will work on the rear. You will need to slightly modify it if you want a 6 speed.

Thanks. What do I need to do to my front fork to mount the caliper? I'm new to the whole riding bikes as an adult thing. Lots of things changed from the time I was 13 to now(33).

See the link Blown240 posted and have a look at this retrofit mount listed on ebay if welding a mount to the fork is not up your alley. Ebay Caliper Mount

$(KGrHqJHJ!4FHw5zUHi+BSBpUJVUzg~~60_12.JPG

I got the new trailer bike mounted to my wife's Sun Crusher and took the kiddo for a ride....unfortunately to have enough clearance, I have to raise the seat so high that my wife wont be able to use it (she's 4'11")....I'm picking up my custom seat post this weekend that will have another post that comes up off of the rear of the seat post just behind (and under) the back of the seat to mount the trailer bike to so that she'll be able to tow our kiddo around. I think having front disc brakes on it will make it ALOT easier to stop. I refrained from getting any speed as I don't want to grenade the coaster brake on her Sun like I did on my beast.

There's a public link to the picture on my facebook page...I didn't realize that this forum didn't have pic uploading enabled.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10200946033245387&l=27b9e22b7c

Last edited:
I ended up buying this one:

41NDsl22yiL._SY450_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Wheel-Master-...&sr=8-1&keywords=Wheel+Master+Front+Alloy+Hub

It came in the mail today....now I gotta take the wheel off, measure the outer diameter of the hub, inner of the wheel and order some spokes....I asked the local shop today about 3 dollars per spoke and they said "That's our markup"...I asked if they were titanium or anything special...nope.. but the mechanics that work there are kinda excited about what I'm doing...

I also got the disc brake adapter from ebay....now I gotta find me a good deal on a disc brake setup to bolt on once I get all the parts installed....

I should also mention that the hub, which is labeled as a "Bolt-On" was delivered as a Quick-Release (it came with the skewer)..

this shouldn't affect my ability to install/use it will it? I'm soo far from being familiar with bikes and modifying them I'm shooting in the dark here....

If ya'll want to know about Mopar Muscle cars...I'm your guy....but I know jack .... about bikes, I just enjoy riding them with my little boy :)

Last edited:
"I should also mention that the hub, which is labeled as a "Bolt-On" was delivered as a Quick-Release (it came with the skewer).."

"bolt on" in the description is referring to the disc mounting method. Some hubs have a center lock mount for the disc. Look for a "nutted" hub if you want to wrench the hub on. Nutted Hub

Tater, the reason I ordered the hub I did, is because it uses sealed bearings (my wife's Sun Crusher uses them from the factory and I want to maintain the 100X better ride it has than my beast).

The Quick Release hub should work fine though right? It looks like it'll work fine, I genuinely don't have a clue in regards to bicycles as to what works and what doesnt...

I got the disc brake adapter mounted this evening. Gotta plug in some numbers to the spreadsheet & figure out what length spokes I need. LBS is gonna lace the wheel, I'm just not buying spokes from them.
qaruda3a.jpg
8a8yvahu.jpg

I don't care for how long those bolts pass thru the adapter, but that'll be a quick/easy fix as I'll put some chrome hardware on it when I paint it pearl white to match the bike.

You know, it's a pretty good feeling when you lace your first wheel. And there are a lot of web sites that show you how. You may want to give it a shot. You MAY even find that the stock spokes will work...

According to a calculator, I need 254.5mm spokes.

How do you true a wheel w/o having a truing stand and gauge to measure wobble/side play?

Right now I'm just waiting on the LBS to get back with me on whether or not a replacement bare wheel is available from Sun (I'd rather not tear apart a wheel that's perfectly fine)

You can put the wheel in the fork, and use a zip tie as a guide.

Replacement wheels are available. J&B has them. 26x4 with a disc hub is about $140.

Its a black rim though: http://www.jbimporters.com/web/checking_product_description.php?part_number=74186

Or you can get the hub you got and a new orange rim. J&B has then too.

http://www.jbimporters.com/web/checking_product_description.php?part_number=48807

thanks! you're awesome......and yes....spinning it in the fork with a zip tie as a guide would pretty much do the same thing as fancy tools......I "may" try this

the LBS (Big Shell Bikes) hooked me up....All I did was drop the hub off and he's sending it to SUN to be laced into a matching orange wheel.....

I didn't realize that he could have ordered that same hub from Sun (J&B), had it laced in a Crusher Orange wheel, then shipped ready to be bolted on....

Latest posts

Back