Thinking of going a different route

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The middle of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'm thinking of building two gravel bike, mostly from my junk. Everyone seems to be making old mountain bikes into gravel bikes. I have several 1970s Japanese road bikes. I have an early 90s mountain bike with a triple chainring crank. I already have bar end shifters, a 700c single speed wheel set with 45 mm semi knobby tires already mounted, a long stem, seats galore, a vintage Breezer external spring seat post dropper, two 1930s drop bars, several heavy duty forks, three 23 tooth BMX cogs, brakes with suicide levers and pedals. I would need a chain and brake cables. The plan would be to spread the frame and fork, slightly widen the rear triangle and make a 10 speed based single speed gravel bike out of the whole mess. I have enough stuff to also make another Japanese based 10 speed based multi speed gravel bike with a twin chainring and a Megarange cassette that I already have. Everyone is going to the 1 x 10, 11 or 12 when they build gravel bikes but I already have all this other stuff. The 1 x 10 can approach a triple or a twin compact but not quite. So what if it's a little heavier and doesn't have the ground clearance, it's for gravel for crying out loud. I'll probably need a new rear derailleur, cables and chain for the second bike. The multi speed bike would have 27 x 1 3/8 cross type tires. Nothing wrong with 27 except for the limited tire selection. 1 1/8 inch is 35 mm and that will do for gravel, unless there is a lot of sand or it is wet and muddy. I have had a lot of crashed years ago on 1 3/8 tires, especially when blasting down a hill and hitting loose sand that washes out of the hill gravel and was deposited at the the bottom. 1 3/8 is no good for anything loose.

Last edited:
This seems like a good idea to me. Some are doing it with cyclo-cross bikes, this isn't much more than that. I mostly made this post so I would be subscribed

This seems like a good idea to me. Some are doing it with cyclo-cross bikes, this isn't much more than that. I mostly made this post so I would be subscribed

The difference from CX would be the massive 1.95 x 29 tires, bigger than monster cross. I measured the tires inflated on the rims and they are a little smaller than advertised, 45 mm instead of 49 as they should measure. If I build this single speed bike I would use it in an August 50 mile cross country race that has 5 miles of pavement, 5 miles of good gravel, 20 miles of two track including some hard boulder strewn climbs and a mile of sand that descends down a hard to ride steep sand hill into a sand pit mine and 20 miles of two track. This bike would be just right and would keep my tradition of doing this race on a single speed. I would gear it to the equivalent of 32 x 16. I have a 36 chainring and a 23 cog so that works out the same as 32 x 16. I will have to push a lot. It would be nice if I could have this built by early June so I could trial it in Hiawatha's Revenge, a 100 km gravel ride through the Hiawatha National Forrest (there are also 50 km and 100 mile versions). It would be hard to build this by then though.

Latest posts

Back