"THE ZEPHYR" a one week build for my wife...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't had a chance to post this here yet so here it goes. Did this build for my wife that i had been planning fir some time. Only parts that i had set aside for it were a set of 26x4 wheels and a fork, steer tube, seat tube and post and a crank set and bottom bracket from a parts bike that i had previously cut apart and had prepared and stored away. parts i had left over from other builds were my cream BOA-G tires. And i did have leftover a set of handle bars that i had made from scraps that i put together a month ago. Also had some leftover steel tube.

Build name came from a 1939 Lincoln Zephyr that i was looking at on Facebook one day and reminded me of a RUFF streamliner and so i decided to make my own version of something similar and my own geometry.

I made the choice to build it last Monday before i left my shop and it needed to be done Friday before 7pm to be on time for the ride. I rolled two long sections of tube to cut up to make my frame sections and began to gather all of the parts i needed to have ready for Tuesday and that's when momentum picked up. ON TO THE PICTURES....

Days 3 and 4 (tues/wed)

Then spent Thursday night doing tear down and fully welding and knocking off slag and stripping the rest of the paint and sanding and finally paint. I used flat and semi gloss paint so I even began to assemble around midnight after i cut out the tanks and took it home to finish before the ride the next day.
These are the only pics i got that night since i was thrashing to get it done on time

:thumbsup: Great work, nice style!

Are the seat stays strong enough? Only asking because they look rather thin...

Luke.
The tubing i used had a pretty nice wall thickness and was sturdy after all of the welding and i did brace it up some more to take away the sway on the lower stays. Its rock solid. ;) It does look rather thin in comparison to the 1,5" OD tube i used up front though lol. Ehh its all i had left.

The tubing i used had a pretty nice wall thickness and was sturdy after all of the welding and i did brace it up some more to take away the sway on the lower stays. Its rock solid. ;)
Good to hear! :thumbsup:

Luke.

Things i was missing to complete the build were grips, a seat, spray upholstery adhesive and stainless tank hardware. Scrambled and picked all of those things up Friday after work from 3-4:30 pm. Ride starts at 7pm... Well i didn't finish UNTIL 6:58PM!!! lol. Still made it in time from my home on the northwest side of my city to downtown Houston in time to catch the tail end of the ride and had an awesome night of riding and beer!! It was a blast.

Scored this sweet leather saddle on craigslist for $50!!

Leaving downtown Wife's first test ride of the build and a 20 mile one at that!!

Pit stop for brews

Wife on Zephyr and me on Texas Tank

Almost back to downtown cruising at a pretty good speed

Back at Market Square Park

And finally Back home!

Latest posts

Back