THE YARD ORNAMENT.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I first came across this site in early June and was impressed by all the cool stuff going on. I had just come across this bike displayed in someones front yard and layed out 5 bux for it so I decided it might be fun to join the Build Off. Since I collect vintage bicycles I have a lot of parts laying around and my intention was to try to exclusively use parts I already owned other than custom made parts. I was successful other than buying the seat, tires and grips. I'm not including paint, nuts & bolts. I originally was going to trade various parts for the seat but decided my cost of shipping the parts was prohibitive so I just sold enough parts outright to pay for the seat.

The parts used are:
Frame37 - 39 Colson "long frame"
40 Dayton women's spring fork
30's Elgin wheels with "Air Cooled" hubs
Prewar Dayton TwinFlex repop guard
Elgin "Alien" lights
Prewar Troxel seat
Prewar Wald stem
30's Colson sprocket
unknown H-bars

Link to the build: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=41486

It's been a lot of fun watching everyones build and the talent displayed. I also appreciate all the comments on my build thread. I didn't always leave a lot of comments on other threads but closely watched quite a few builds and was impressed with the creativity shown. So without any more BS, here is the finished "YARD ORNAMENT"

PS. As I'm writing this my wife comes in the house and tells me she just backed into the bike in the driveway! I'm afraid to go look.

DSCF1166.jpg

DSCF1378.jpg

DSCF1390.jpg

DSCF1388.jpg

DSCF1384-1.jpg

DSCF1380.jpg

DSCF1404.jpg

DSCF1395-1.jpg

DSCF1396-1.jpg

DSCF1394-1.jpg

DSCF1405-1.jpg

DSCF1399.jpg

DSCF1401-1.jpg

DSCF1400.jpg

DSCF1403.jpg

DSCF1397.jpg

DSCF1392.jpg

DSCF1398.jpg

DSCF1393.jpg

DSCF1402.jpg

that center spring springer its just awesome. its a really surprizing change from the beggining.

A really nice looking bike. Lots of tweeks, but still looks classic. Clever & cool.

Wicked looking bike, really like what you did. From the front it definitely has a face to it 8) .

THIS BIKE WAS PUSHING UP DAISIES AND NOW IT JUST PUSHED THE ENVELOPE!! GREAT BUILD!! PEACE

Great Gooley Moogley, I am mesmerized by the color combo and detail.

I beginning to feel like Jay Leno; I want them all.

Now, if I could just find that winning lost PowerBall ticket.

Brentley said:
That is awesome! I love the springer and stem and the hubs and... Ok, I just like the whole thing! Great job with all the details. I have to know did the bike survive?

Minor scratches.

a really neat color i never would have thought of!

that chainguard looks just like an old teardrop camper trailer !

awesome! 8)

I wish more folks voted for your bike. If they check the build they'd see the work & details. It think it's beautiful & a true rat. Too many judge by rust alone.

Thanks for the positive comments. Bottom line is: I'm happy with it. I never thought of the comparison to a vintage camping trailer but I see what you mean.

Latest posts

Back