The Wonky Donkey

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hack job, I know. But I'm a hack. What are you going to do? Next was the scuffing.
IMG_20200319_130309998.jpg
IMG_20200319_130329156.jpg
IMG_20200319_130253207.jpg

Also scuffed fork, bars, and a pair of bar ends for the RockRat. Hated that blue anno for the last twenty five years! Finally getting around to it. Now back to procrastinating. Still have to scuff again and paint

Has anyone else tried electric tape for rim strips? Fresh, never ridden rims off Duck Norris, never came with any.
IMG_20200606_124254965.jpg

Anyhow, hubs are repacked, tires are on, now it's literally just sanding and painting
IMG_20200606_125720647.jpg

Oh yeah, don't have a chain whip, so those gears are staying on there for a while. Also will allow me to experiment with pedal power at some point down the line

I knew I get you off the bench and playing with the rest of the team with a little pushing . GTB is what it's all about . :happy:
Rat Rod Bikes has been at the forefront of vintage and custom bike building and restoration since 2006 .

For now, it'll be a strider bike, no pedals. It's for riding with my four year old, don't think I'll need a giant ring or corncob to keep up with him. Maybe in a year or two it'll get upgrades, I will have to see how unstable my ridiculous design is before I add speed.

Put a big ring on the front and no cranks.
Then a fixed gear on the back so when you push along the rear wheel rotates the front sprocket :cool:

For extra wonkyness

I threw a little paint at the frame. Finally.
IMG_20200828_174248403.jpg

Thanks to @us56456712 for the "bike stand" idea. Yep, that's a stick jammed into a cinder block.
IMG_20200828_174255475.jpg

Still lumpy as heck where I removed the bosses. This is a Donkey, after all

Then the weather turned. Just need to spray the fork and bars and assemble.

I am using the green cruiser bars pictured earlier, flipped up. They'll be flat black, maybe some bar ends on them halfway up to make mutated apes. Just waiting for dry days and spare time.

I threw a little paint at the frame. Finally.
View attachment 137473
Thanks to @us56456712 for the "bike stand" idea. Yep, that's a stick jammed into a cinder block.
View attachment 137474
Still lumpy as heck where I removed the bosses. This is a Donkey, after all

Then the weather turned. Just need to spray the fork and bars and assemble.
I never thought of using a cinder block. I’ll have to paint the umbrella stand black after each use. The cinder block don’t care what color it is.

Just catching up and wow. Hideous... I love it. Some sort of mount on the bottom of the "seat tube" to hang a... Donkey Kong? Jungle Hunt?... figurine seems like a must. That frame has so little going for it, but that's one of them (Edit: w/ some sort of limit on the action so you don't crush Kong on the first pedal out)

Last edited:
Grrrrr. Tried to hand paint some letters... Guess the old can of tremclad was too old? All watery and clear instead of black, ran all over the tubes, and mixed with the gray paint. Back to the spray can. Maybe I'll try paint markers later, I have a steadier hand with a marker than a brush anyhow. Did I mention that this happened after I pressed the headset cups in, so I gotta mask them too? Simplest bike on the web, and I keep making it complicated

Latest posts

Back