The Wild One * 53' Lincoln

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So... You are getting apes? Or is a banana seat in this bikes future? :39:
OR...
I find that perfect black leather seat with fringe and a crash bar, mounted on a bent layback seat post. Then I put some huge ape hangers on it for the competition photo with black grips and matching fringe...

Carl.

Black Troxel loaf saddle for that moto look. Still got mine available...that should be 'banana' enough for the judge(s).

A few reminders...
thunderbird.jpg

Triumph as seen in The Wild One
DSC00951.JPG

Lincoln as found with a full size springer polo
TWO 2.jpg

It has a sleek frame. I'm not sure the squareness of a loaf works, it'd probably be thicker and longer than this cartoon as well. I really think a leather saddle with crash bar and added fringe would be the best 50's era Wild One look.

Carl.

Last edited:
Tear down for paint stripping
ee5d597903a9570f2d88d891e2ef8904.jpg
2651bacb42fee78cd28443068d7da92e.jpg
95ea8f3ef7e80fad1986f69e0434bd94.jpg

Goodbye old paintjob...

Carl.
Sent from an offworld convoy

Stripping and cleaning it up
f4586cf11aa8a2128abcf63919e7494a.jpg
83f3661e9b01c5429f32c5fc58f117b3.jpg
6789b3ea35a517a1a1f13af4dae18745.jpg

I do love bare metal frames. Especially when they're brazed. I think this one is electro-forged and then brazed in places... I'll have to see what I can find online for 1953 Chicago Cycle Supply Company.

Carl.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I realize the green was a muscle bike paintjob for sure. But two things moving forward, I don't really like green and a total change required it to be gone. Last night something came to me, a splash of color to replace the white, but defined to emphasize vintage hotrods and the paintjobs they wore. So rather than a fade imagine darts, I'm thinking salmon. There are many styles of darts so I'll be playing with that, luckily I have plenty of time.

Carl.

Sent from an offworld convoy

A cool little detail on our bikes is the headbadges. Often they are gone to collectors. I'm lucky to have the original for this bike. Without it, the bike is just another Schwinn with obsolete parts on it. (skiptooth on a 53') Looking for information on the Chicago Cycle Supply Company. I found a couple different pictures of Lincoln headbadges. They match mine with one exception, color. The few I found were the same orange red. Hmm...
31bb999852a8f4dc916e5165c10a0b0a.jpg

3736726651_2edffa9481_o.jpg

I like how it makes the letters pop out.

Carl.

Last edited:
Why take it all the way to bare metal and not just sand and paint over? Just curious because that's all I was planning on doing.
The original paint was so bad a couple years ago when I painted it green that I took it down to bare metal then. So, stripping it back wasn't as bad as it sounds, and it gives me a better base to spray the primer and then the black metalflake over.

Carl.

Also, there's Rats and then there's Muscle Bikes. Now some folks have successfully combined the two. But it's rare. The best Muscle Bikes have a flashy paint scheme, like the Screamers and the Spyders. Even the Krates had at least vibrant colors. Now in the past 26" frames with wooden inserts and crusty patinas scored well in the voting precisely because this is RatRodBikes. But on a Muscle Bike forum they wouldn't have garnered a vote. Now, I'm all for bending the rules, in fact neither bike I'm building this time would be considered Muscle Bikes. But this is CLASS 2 so we can put a banana on anything we want and call it a Muscle Bike. So I will try to put my spin on a classic Muscle Bike paintjob for the Wild One, even though flat black, bare metal or patina fit my own rat heart better.

Carl.

Latest posts

Back