The Way They Should Have Made the La Jolla,...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have two of these bikes I picked up cheap, been wanting to do some kind of build on em because they are really cool looking frames, they are lite as a feather, I took this one and chemical stripped the red transparent paint off, then proceeded to do a 26" bmx build on it. I also repacked the crank bearings, I put a set of Donnie Robinson bars on it with a Sakae old school euro bb crankset in 175mm on it, running 39/16 gearing, rides nice. I spray waxed the frame really good, it won't ever sit outside so not worried about it oxidizing. I like it, reminds me of the high end Intense bmx race bikes. :lol:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Dr. Tankenstein said:
That is really clean! I'd ride that ALL DAY LONG!
As far as rusting, isn't it aluminum? Rims look like alloys, you'll be fine :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Dr. T
Thanks, rides super nice, smooth and quiet. Not rusting but aluminum kinda chalks out oxidizing and will pit if you don't have some kind of treatment on it ie; clearcoat or carnuba wax or something if left out in the weather.

Just ordered me up a good ole Jim Melton headbadge to put on er. 8)

That's awesome! Nice transformation. If you hadn't said anything I would have never guessed it was a la jolla.

I sold my other LaJolla, but have acquired another from a Yard Sale over the weekend...I've contemplated "bare-framing" it...but may go the "Flat Black" Route....we'll see....Great lookin' Bike You have there....!!!

Thanks fellas, I new this frame had potential the first time I saw one, I love me some bmx bikes but just to big for the 20"ers so I jump at the chance to build a 26" when I can. :mrgreen:

Looks sharp! I've been trying to find one if those for a while because I like the frame design, but haven't found one in my price range (cheap).

hot .... I just found a cheap one of these on craigslist and was thinking of doing the 26" BMX route and found this. Excellent bike! I hope mine turns out as awesome

Latest posts

Back