The 'Vette (Science #4)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I was commissioned to build a bike for a friend. He wanted a stretched bike, and he wanted it to be cool. That's all he knew. He came over, and we took two of my Science bikes (1 & 3) for a ride, and I explained that if he wanted one of these, I could make him one, though I did explain that I didn't want any two to be exactly the same. We decided on a basic Science frame, multi-speed hub, and we came to an agreement on color and so forth. The only add he wanted was something tank-like, so that it had some bulk up front. So, I'm adding an extra bar, and putting in a faux-tank.

He has a black 2001 C6 Corvette that is his baby, so I came up with the idea to make this bike 'Vette themed, which I think he'll love. It's going to be mostly black with small red touches, just like his car. I'm also buying some Corvette emblems on eBay that I'll be putting on the tank, which will be awesome. Here's a picture show of the build thus far:
IMG_1183.jpg

IMG_1184.jpg

IMG_1185.jpg

IMG_1186.jpg

Bigdaddy772 said:
Seems like you have that design down to a "science" hahahaha just kidding looks great. I think the black and red will look awesome!!!

Practice makes perfect. There are a couple of things I tried that I think makes this the cleanest one since the first one. I'm continuing to learn.

My next one is going to be a girl's step through frame (my wife has finally agreed to let me build her a bike), so I'm excited about trying that.

Making some progress. I've got the frame and faux-tank painted, and used copper plumbing strapping to mount it. I won some older Corvette emblems and a hood ornament on eBay, and I'll be mounting those on the bike (on either side of the tank and as a headbadge).
IMG_1204.jpg

I also made a set of custom bars that i think will flow nicely with the frame.
IMG_1203.jpg

Got the bike all painted in my favorite combination, black and red. Of course, the customer's Corvette is black and red, so it would have ended up those colors whether I liked them or not. It's basically done, other than the black chains that I ordered from Chimi here on this site. As soon as those arrive, I'll be turning this over to the guy. The Corvette side emblems on the faux-tank came out okay, but I'm really digging the hood ornament, which is mounted on a chainring, which is welded to the head tube. I think that came out great.

I'm very proud of this one.
IMG_1217.jpg

IMG_1211.jpg

IMG_1218.jpg

IMG_1209.jpg

Latest posts

Back