The Unofficial Bikes For Ladies Buildoff: Finished Bikes!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NLCTVWguy

Rollin' on 20's
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
1947 Schwinn Ladies Super Cruiser

My project turned out to be a challenge mainly to myself to build the ultimate bike for my wife.

From humble beginnings, a bike found at an antique store a year ago, this bike became a labor of love that I poured a great deal of time into. I knew I could create something cool out of it, and just had to figure out what that was going to be.

The detail work that went into it was more than anything I've undertaken before, and I learned a lot and solved quite a few problems along the way. I certainly could have made this bike a lot simpler and saved myself a lot of work, but I was determined to include a 5-speed, drum-brake wheel set on this bike. Many many hours were spent getting everything to work correctly.

The bike went for its inaugural ride today, downtown to our St. Patrick's Day parade. It probably could have been in the parade, for all the attention it got. People really enjoyed seeing it. My wife enjoyed riding it, and showing it off to people that stopped to check it out.

It's been a really fun couple months putting this one together. Hope everyone enjoys it as much as we have!

BEFORE: At the antique store, Stafford Springs, CT, March 2009:

47schwinn_b.jpg

St. Patricks Day, 2010:

47schwinn_x71.jpg

47schwinn_x1.jpg

47schwinn_x3.jpg

47schwinn_x4.jpg

47schwinn_x6.jpg

47schwinn_x2.jpg

The build sheet:

1947 Schwinn frame, fork, seat, seat post, rear fender, kickstand, feather chainguard

Front fender: 1995 Phantom repro rear fender, modified.

Stem: 1970's Schwinn
Bars: 1980's Schwinn cruiser
Brake levers: 1970's Schwinn Collegiate
Shifter: 1968 Schwinn Stingray
Crank& Sprocket: 1972 Schwinn Collegiate
Rear rack: JC Higgins ladies middleweight
Rack stays: Schwinn Stingray, modified
Headbadge: 1970s Schwinn repainted and "antiqued"
Grips: 1950's Schwinn
Headlight: 1970's Cycle Products, found with flames on it!
Rear reflector: 1969 Collegiate 2"
Pedals: 1966 large diamond block pedals
Cables: Red, NOS
Wheels: Columbia (?) Tandem 5-spd heavy duty drum brake hubs
Tires: WW 26x2.125 knobby style
Pinstripes: Commercial automotive pinstripe, some painted before application
Decals: Schwinn white arched frame logos, Phantom style seatpost logo and chainguard quality circle, 5-speed crossed-flag logo, early style fork triple stripes, all from Memory Lane Classics. Rat Rod Bikes logos on frame and rack. Moon Eyes on front fender.

Thanks for checking out my project and for all the kind comments!

Rat Rod Bikes rules!

--Rob

47schwinn_x5.jpg

Looks great Rob! Those colors look very nice together on there and that shifter rocks. Can't wait to see it in person.

Thanks guys! I know a few of you will see it in person, either on rides or at the swap meets.

It's beautiful. I feel kind of silly saying this because I built it, but I can't believe how stunning it looks.

When it was in the house, I couldn't take my eyes off it. My wife loves it, even though it is something of a bear to push around... close to 60 lbs! It's real fun downhill though!

And Udall, couldn't have done it without you. Many thanks and the favor will be returned.

We went out for another ride today, at the Fort which some of you have visited with me... perfect weather, much nicer than you could expect any March day to be... a great day to ride cool bikes with cool people.

--Rob

A+ BUILD :D
i like it alot you realy did a lot of work and modifications that realy paid off quite well :!:
i realy think you're girl should be verry happy with her new ride :D
love the colors of choice :wink:

Thanks Rico!

I am really happy with the way the colors of the pinstripes go together.

Then I tried to use each color on the frame: Red pinstripes, orange bearing cups, yellow headbadge, white decals.

I have to straighten out that disc behind the crank- after 2 rides it rotated so it is not lined up right anymore. The bearings loosened up on the crank as well.

A little more work to do before it is 100% ready.

Thanks for the encouragement.
--Rob

rico said:
A+ BUILD :D

i like it alot you realy did a lot of work and modifications that realy paid off quite well :!:
i realy think you're girl should be verry happy with her new ride :D
love the colors of choice :wink:

Yep, thats the Sit on a Happy Face seat. :lol: I salvaged the material at work- it was going to be rags.

I have enough to build 2 more seats if you or anyone would like some.

--Rob

sensor said:
really like the bike but that seat just cracks me up(doh!! no pun intended)

Murray Muscle Finished Bike

Here is my entry. Hope you like it. Rich-
Ladybuildoff01.jpg

To this, all new parts or good replacement parts. Silver Metallic Base with Purple Top Coat.
S5032110.jpg

S5032111.jpg

S5032112.jpg

S5032114.jpg

Gentlemen, I think this one's about as ready as it's going to be.

L1020154.JPG

A sturdy rear end, and invisible pedals!-
L1020141.JPG

French cockpit and stopper-
L1020140.JPG

Some fancy spoking-
L1020142.JPG

The chainline of a champion-
L1020149.JPG

From humble beginnings-
IMG_0402.JPG

To happy endings!-
L1020138.JPG

Looks great jOe, huge improvement, much more simple and elegant.

Sinner4, that paintjob is vibrant!

Mine is done, wife is thrilled. Hopefully if it stops raining and tomorrow i can take some pictures.

Hi Joe :)

realy a clean looking build love the tires on it :!:

mike :wink:

Hi guy's :)

The time has come to an end it seem's that this built has been alot of fun here are my pic's, hope you guy's like it .

trikeparts.jpg

and this was my mock up

trikemockup.jpg

my 53 frame

53paintremoval.jpg

53totalyclean.jpg

53withprimer.jpg

53painted.jpg

53serial.jpg

ok here she is

trike3.jpg

trike1.jpg

trike5.jpg

trike4.jpg

trikeseat.jpg

trussrods.jpg

trikephantomrepopchaingard.jpg

trikechaingardmod.jpg

Ok, this is all done for now ,i will be doing some changes in the future but for now my girl is verry happy with the end result so now is time to enjoy ,good luck to the rest of the guy's :D

later mike

Woah, Rico, that is a hot trike! The paint color, and the fender scallops are beautiful. The trusses are very elegant as well. Really sweet!

Latest posts

Back