!!!! THE (UN)OFFICIAL BIKES FOR LADIES BUILD OFF !!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rgallen said:
NLCTVWguy

Spoken like a true genius. ... Make it the way you want it to be or get rid of it. Rick

Thanks! Thats the genius right there. That's what makes this whole site work. Do what you want with a classic and don't let anyone tell you differently. I have a bunch of pictures now I haven't gotten up yet. My wife's new ride is gonna be hot!

--Rob

I finally had some time to start and take some pictures. This is an older Western Flyer we picked up last summer at a garage sale and my wife rode it for the summer. This gives me an opportunity to fix it up a little and have some fun. New wheels/tires, paint, but she likes the seat and handlebars. Not sure exactly what all will be done, but I have a couple of months to figure it out.
CIMG3370.jpg

CIMG3368.jpg

CIMG3367.jpg

I gotta say I don't really like this format. Editing the original posts doesn't update the date line, so it looks like we never added any new info. So I'm giving the topic a little bump.

Some of the parts I've come up with for this buildoff include:

Miller headlight with parking light and bullet glass lens.
50's teardrop Schwinn grips
70's Schwinn brake levers
Repro decals from different suppliers- I like the vintage style quality cross and the 60s style curved white scripts
Stem and bars from an 80's Cruiser. Not sure if these will stay.

47schwinn_a4.jpg

A nasty headbadge that was an experiment- was covered in duct tape adhesive. I threw it in our ultrasonic parts washer at work and it cleaned it up to bare shiny aluminum. Buffed the letters, painted it yellow, and buffed it again against cardboard to highlight the letters and the edges. It's got an old "survivor" look to it.

The bearing cups are so heavy on this old frame. VERY thick steel. The crank bearings are so big the crank almost won't fit through. The fork cups I painted orange to match some of the other elements going into this bike. I like how the seat picks up all the colors too.

47schwinn_a2.jpg

===============

Update 2-1-2010:

Finally some more pictures uploaded!
The crank I picked out came from a Collegiate that arrived at my house nearly naked... well just a frame and wheels and crank, missing a lot. 1972 parts.

47schwinn_c5.jpg

As you can see, I'm up to something with those templates.... I put the gear right in the scanner and copied it!

The crank, the seat post, and what's that thing? It's a paint can lid, one of the ones with a little window to let you see what color is in the can. Didnt feel too bad about using it, turned out to have a few rust holes, and it was "CLEARANCE $1.00" paint that's been in the basement since I've owned the house.

47schwinn_c4.jpg

Stripped the label and the paint on the inside of the lid, popped out the center. They don't make these things too precisely as you can see...

47schwinn_c3.jpg

But it's close enough to mount on the crank behind the sprocket and is exactly the right size to back up a 46 tooth sprocket. Centered on the crank it gives the chain just the right amount of room, but covers the cutouts in the gear.

47schwinn_c2.jpg

Back side view. One troublesome thing- I can't tighten a chainguard screw now with a screwdriver from the front. Small price I guess...

47schwinn_c1.jpg

More on that one later....

Here's one of the problems I encountered so far in the build:

47schwinn_o1.jpg

Yeah, oops, the rear fender-turned front fender did turn out too long. Well, I had to try it. I wanted to save that ducktail but it was not meant to be. Mounted on the fork, it's under the tire. Another trip to the cutoff wheel....

=====================

Just a mockup picture, but my wife LOVES her new bike!

47schwinn_m1.jpg

======================

UPDATE 2/25/2010:

The bike is coming along slowly but surely. Too much going on to give it proper attention but parts of it are getting finished up and looking nice.

The big project this week was finishing the chainguard.

Some automotive pinstripe material in red:
47schwinn_p5.jpg

I painted individual strips of pinstripe material to match the colors used elsewhere on the bike. A couple of tries to get the yellow right- it doesn't behave like regular paint. Also, nothing much likes sticking to the plastic pinstripe material, but at least it adheres well to the chainguard paint.
47schwinn_c7.jpg

A new decal from Memory Lane and we're in business.

47schwinnrat_c8.jpg

After laying the pinstripes, the edges were cut with a fine knife to match the curve around the quality circle.

47schwinnrat_c9.jpg

======================================
Got some more pics on the way, found a shifter, a rack, and some surprises.

Stay tuned...

--Rob

Hi Guys!

I just got my part's for the built they came a long way from mass. so i should be getting some photos together for you guy's it look's like it will be alot of fun :lol:

Rob, the bike is looking KILLER!.....Great idea on the sprocket.

I am still in the collecting parts mode and once I get everything together I will take some pics and post them up

Hi guy's

i am back i had to wait on the rest of the part's for my built but know i have them and i am ready to start showing some activities on the built my girl is realy happy that this build off is goin on she realy wanted something to ride with me and now she is going to have one it should be alot of fun :!:

hey i have to mention that there some nice work done all ready on this build off i realy like the work done on some of the bikes all ready nice job guys :!:

later :wink:

UP DATE 2/3/2010

this is what i am working with
trikeparts.jpg

flatblack50 said:
I really like the front fender on that flat black cruiser! :D

Thanks, flatblack. It's looking really good. I'm happy with how it came out, though I do have to warn my wife that it's a dangerous weapon! No "safety edges" here!

Rico, MattJP, those bikes look good. Can't wait to see how they turn out. I think we're gonna need a trophy. I'm going to work on that too this weekend.

--Rob

Gdcast said:
Oh come on, that thing is brand new, isn't it?

that was funny !

all you need is a wire drill atachment and alot of good will and time and that could be done !, but to tell you the truth that was alot of work !,hopefully tomorow you will get to see more of those parts nicely done.

Yeah, I have that attachment but to use on the grinder, never with that level of result thou.
Looking great man, keep it going!

Can I play?
krates099.jpg

Frame is a woman's Huffy that I bought for $30 and scavenged for parts to use on another bike a while back. Paint is the factory color. I just stripped all the decals off.

Latest posts

Back