The uGlY fIxIe thread is back!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, It's a cobbled together rear Bendix Red Band hub with the fork spread, the fork axle slots enlarged, a brake arm attachment welded onto the fork, a spring to bring the hub back and the ball inside the hub welded shut so it wouldn't rotate so the brake would grab right away. Didn't work very well as you could not get enough leverage with a hand brake. I tried different brakes levers, long pull and short pull. The long pull pulled further but then the force is reduced. It barley scrubbed off any speed. It was a head scratcher for people who saw it. The frame was made from a girls bike and an old cheap mountain bike rear triangle. Homemade seat post too. I finally broke the frame riding single track, but it lasted all summer.

So as I was thinking before - rear hubs used as front roller brakes - not a great idea:confused: And yet I thought I was onto something...

So as I was thinking before - rear hubs used as front roller brakes - not a great idea:confused: And yet I thought I was onto something...
Don't try it with a hand lever and cable, unless you want a brake that doesn't work, Ha Ha. It is a good conversation piece.

You know, they actually make some pretty good drum brakes for up front, and you don't need to have a hand like a foot to use them
sa-hub-p1030813.jpg

I used the SA picture because it's pretty, but the Worksman hubs I have used on the work trikes stop really well, and seem to thrive with very little maintenance

The routing on the yellow bike is NOT pretty!
Some side pulls can be set up with the cable pulling the bottom arm.
TABMixte3.jpg

That plus these cable guides could give you the option to run a rear brake
61s-55VjiRL._SX425_.jpg

You know, they actually make some pretty good drum brakes for up front, and you don't need to have a hand like a foot to use them
View attachment 108897
I used the SA picture because it's pretty, but the Worksman hubs I have used on the work trikes stop really well, and seem to thrive with very little maintenance
I have a SA and a vintage Giant on two of my clunkers but what is the fun in that when you can waste several days making your own that doesn't work?

Good sirs, I have complete faith in you and your methods. I was putting out the info for the benefit of other viewers. I'm pretty new to the custom bike scene, and was super excited when I "discovered" front drums that are still available new.

Good sirs, I have complete faith in you and your methods. I was putting out the info for the benefit of other viewers. I'm pretty new to the custom bike scene, and was super excited when I "discovered" front drums that are still available new.

Shimano makes the InterM series Roller brakes for their hubs
shimano-nexus-brake-im55-inter-m-roller-rr-p9955-31153_image.jpg

Have them on my Karlik (both front & rear) and they work very good, except the fact that they tend to heat up when going downhill

It has a metal plate as a brake bridge like a cheap 10 speed. :21: What a joke of a bike!
ad.PNG

ac.PNG

It has a metal plate as a brake bridge like a cheap 10 speed. :21: What a joke of a bike!
View attachment 108938

View attachment 108939
What to expect from people who build & sell fixies for a living :giggle:. They also selled a bike they called a "fattie" - a fixie with Continental Ultra Sport II tires with size of 700x32C... if 32 is fat, then what... 5.0 is what? HUMONGOUS? :21:

What to expect from people who build & sell fixies for a living :giggle:. They also selled a bike they called a "fattie" - a fixie with Continental Ultra Sport II tires with size of 700x32C... if 32 is fat, then what... 5.0 is what? HUMONGOUS? :21:
The cheap fixies where I live are a bit nicer.

20190726_152436.jpg

Here is the American version of the Baluma. $550
State-Bicycle-Co-4130-geared-steel-road-bike-2019-18.jpg

f

I've used the SA drum front for about 5 years on one of my clunkers. They advise you not to do this, but. They really help a clunker on single track over just using a coster brake. My Clunker had no mounts for a caliper brake They also bed in and get a little more powerful with use. You have to adjust it until it rubs and back off a tiny bit. If you come into a corner a little too fast the front brake helps the coaster scrub off just enough speed to keep you on the trail. I think they are better than most caliper brakes for clunkers as they work in all conditions. If you build a coaster clunker for single track then a front SA drum is a good investment, despite what they say against this. Just be careful not to over tighten the nuts on the axle as they are easily stripped. I stripped a SA front axle trying to put too much stuff on there (truss Rods). I also have an old Arai drum brake.

The routing on the yellow bike is NOT pretty!
Some side pulls can be set up with the cable pulling the bottom arm.View attachment 108917
That plus these cable guides could give you the option to run a rear brakeView attachment 108919
I have noticed that those metal things scratch the frame real bad. I might be getting a Keno with those metal things and I will just run a single, front center pull brake and an eliminator lever on the top of the drop bars. If I do get the purple bike, I will keep it a 10 speed because it has some nice Shimano downtube shifters. This bike is not it.
502269728_e8648355d2_b.jpg

Here is the purple bike I might get.
20191108_181334.jpg

On the yellow bike, I will do the same thing, except the yellow bike will be a singlespeed.
20191101_180139.jpg

Those stock brakes are weird and have too many unnecessary moving components, which have seized. I will use one of these.
$_1.JPG

For both, will get one of these.
DSC00378.JPG

Those cheap Murray 10 and 12 speed bikes don't even have shifter cable bosses.:eek: They are just good for singlespeeds in my opinion. The lack of bosses make them sleek looking singlespeeds.:banana:
GrantHarris-1.jpg

This bike was stolen, so I am glad I did not take it for free and it was reported to the police.
20191101_194815.jpg

The paint was a cover up and it looked like this when it was stolen.
racer-pink.jpg

Latest posts

Back