The uGlY fIxIe thread is back!

Oct 28, 2018
Colorado
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made these 2 as experimental bikes. The frames were both donated because they had odd sized seatposts. The stem from the silver bike went on my Little Schwinn.
fwefwd.jpg

b.jpg

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Does that green one have a rear hub on the front that has the brake operated by a line?
Yes, It's a cobbled together rear Bendix Red Band hub with the fork spread, the fork axle slots enlarged, a brake arm attachment welded onto the fork, a spring to bring the hub back and the ball inside the hub welded shut so it wouldn't rotate so the brake would grab right away. Didn't work very well as you could not get enough leverage with a hand brake. I tried different brakes levers, long pull and short pull. The long pull pulled further but then the force is reduced. It barley scrubbed off any speed. It was a head scratcher for people who saw it. The frame was made from a girls bike and an old cheap mountain bike rear triangle. Homemade seat post too. I finally broke the frame riding single track, but it lasted all summer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grant
Apr 28, 2019
Warsaw PL
allejazda.waw.pl
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, It's a cobbled together rear Bendix Red Band hub with the fork spread, the fork axle slots enlarged, a brake arm attachment welded onto the fork, a spring to bring the hub back and the ball inside the hub welded shut so it wouldn't rotate so the brake would grab right away. Didn't work very well as you could not get enough leverage with a hand brake. I tried different brakes levers, long pull and short pull. The long pull pulled further but then the force is reduced. It barley scrubbed off any speed. It was a head scratcher for people who saw it. The frame was made from a girls bike and an old cheap mountain bike rear triangle. Homemade seat post too. I finally broke the frame riding single track, but it lasted all summer.
So as I was thinking before - rear hubs used as front roller brakes - not a great idea:confused: And yet I thought I was onto something...

Jul 16, 2019
America's Friendly Hat
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You know, they actually make some pretty good drum brakes for up front, and you don't need to have a hand like a foot to use them
sa-hub-p1030813.jpg

I used the SA picture because it's pretty, but the Worksman hubs I have used on the work trikes stop really well, and seem to thrive with very little maintenance

Reactions: SpikeFC and Grant
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
You know, they actually make some pretty good drum brakes for up front, and you don't need to have a hand like a foot to use them
View attachment 108897
I used the SA picture because it's pretty, but the Worksman hubs I have used on the work trikes stop really well, and seem to thrive with very little maintenance
I have a SA and a vintage Giant on two of my clunkers but what is the fun in that when you can waste several days making your own that doesn't work?

Apr 28, 2019
Warsaw PL
allejazda.waw.pl
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good sirs, I have complete faith in you and your methods. I was putting out the info for the benefit of other viewers. I'm pretty new to the custom bike scene, and was super excited when I "discovered" front drums that are still available new.
Shimano makes the InterM series Roller brakes for their hubs

Have them on my Karlik (both front & rear) and they work very good, except the fact that they tend to heat up when going downhill

Apr 28, 2019
Warsaw PL
allejazda.waw.pl
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has a metal plate as a brake bridge like a cheap 10 speed. :21: What a joke of a bike!
View attachment 108938

View attachment 108939
What to expect from people who build & sell fixies for a living :giggle:. They also selled a bike they called a "fattie" - a fixie with Continental Ultra Sport II tires with size of 700x32C... if 32 is fat, then what... 5.0 is what? HUMONGOUS? :21:

Oct 28, 2018
Colorado
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What to expect from people who build & sell fixies for a living :giggle:. They also selled a bike they called a "fattie" - a fixie with Continental Ultra Sport II tires with size of 700x32C... if 32 is fat, then what... 5.0 is what? HUMONGOUS? :21:
The cheap fixies where I live are a bit nicer.

20190726_152436.jpg

Oct 28, 2018
Colorado
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the American version of the Baluma. $550
State-Bicycle-Co-4130-geared-steel-road-bike-2019-18.jpg

Reactions: SpikeFC