The Thunderbolt Grease Slapper

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The Build Thread is a tribute to the 60's cartoon, Tom Slick and the Thunderbolt Grease Slapper, narrated by the fictional Merle. So in honor of the original theme let's have Merle continue here...
boardtrackgreaseslapper v2.jpg

Well Buildoff fans and Rat bike aficionados, here we have a '53 Schwinn Spitfire. Gerty Growler, Tom's mechanic has created the Thunderbolt Grease Slapper using this iconic Schwinn frame for the base. Retaining the Schwinn headset adds to the reliability. It also sports a Schwinn Mag sprocket, Schwinn springer seat and a repop Schwinn rear rack. Now the forks, this rat trap springer came from fellow rat rodder @handyandy1100 and are from a Sears Spaceliner, after Gerty had a go at it with her welder, she flipped the rockers to give the Grease Slapper it's low slung look. Rims front and back are flat black alloy with red nipples. A 26 x 2.4 tire on a 57mm rim is laced to an old Shimano 3 speed coaster on the back, controlled by a Shimano shorty stick. In the front it has a 26 x 1.75 skinny for that "dragster" look. Black bear trap pedals, hand bent solid seat post, saddle bag, alloy drink coozy, Columbia chainguard, Elgin peaked rear fender and custom stretched handle bars with copper and brass inserts complete the parts list. The Thunderbolt Grease Slapper also sports pink LED lighting on both rims, a blue glass LED headlight and a red LED tailight. The last picture (pink caddy) is as it sits now... but Tom and Gerty have built and rebuilt this Spitfire into many genres of racer throughout the build off. For the voting picture we've chosen the Boardtracker.
TGS Tandem.jpg
TGS Muscle3.jpg

DePork4.jpg
Tamale2.jpg

stone 3.jpg

467896c31e2126d8144250a275efb699.jpg

Merle.

Last edited:
Love the fact that you have used the same frame in numerous builds. Maybe I steal that idea next year? Awesome bike.

Hands down the most entertaining build thread ever! What a fun concept! Build turned out cool too boot!
Well done and thanks!!!

You probably already know this, but Don't forget that when the Voting thread is created we will use the first pic from your Finished thread. I'm not suggesting anything is wrong with the current pic, just making sure everyone knows.

Hands down the most entertaining build thread ever! What a fun concept! Build turned out cool too boot!
Well done and thanks!!!

You probably already know this, but Don't forget that when the Voting thread is created we will use the first pic from your Finished thread. I'm not suggesting anything is wrong with the current pic, just making sure everyone knows.

Thanks and thanks... You freaked me out so much. I knew the first picture was for voting, but then I started second guessing myself and I must have edited it four times reimagining what picture to use. So yeah, thanks and thanks!

Carl.

Latest posts

Back