The SPEED MASTER...1942 CWC...pulling out of the build...good luck to all

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This will be my 3rd build off bike and am really excited to watch,learn and get hundreds of new ideas from all of the other awesome bikes we will see this year.
My first build off was a 49 Schwinn heavy weight....the second was a 59 Columbia middle weight.....this year will be a 1942 CWC Speed Master light weight. This bike was bought out of an old garage on Eastern Long Island, NY. Found it on CL and got it for $50 :D It has skiptooth and blackout parts.
My plan is to clean and clear coat to reserve the cool maroon paint and the pin striping that is all over this bike. I have some 700c wheels and a 7 speed hub with the skiptooth which is needed for the hills around here.
Gonna get started with the long tedious cleaning today.........good luck to all participants....cant wait to see the bikes

Barn Fresh

It was easy naming this build !!!

MASTER/359_zps66061326.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

I've never seen that badge before. Diggin the skip7 hub

Like the front fender fin, have similar one on my 43 Columbia sport tour. Looks so similar.

Wooooo!!! a Model 1000 in the Build off!!! a much much newer version of the Model 1000 is the first RRB I ever built and what gave me my screenname since it was a black diamond frame bike. Can you believe they made this frame all the way until the AMF days?

Thanks for all the encouragement !!!!!!! I want to keep as much as the old flavor as possible but modernize and make it a serious rider with lighter wheels and a 7speed...the only other change would be the saddle to something more comfy for long rides...
Questions: Would anyone have any old pictures/ads of a bike like this ???
Anyone know what type of grips would have been on this ???
Would this bike have had a chain guard????

Thanks so much for those links Blackdiamond....that is the color I am starting to uncover under all the rust and dirt...wish it was that nice!!!!
One more question for today: I see that in 41 parts were chromed....my bike being a 42 makes it a Wartime bike....what is the reason for the blacked out parts during this time period? Did they need the chrome for the war effort or was the black so bikes would not stand out?

AS far as I know, it was because chrome was needed for the war.

I always thought it was because they didn't want anything reflective for enemy planes or such to see at night. But chrome rationing makes a lot more sense.

Just cause I know metals...
Chromium added to molybdenum steel, cromoly!
Not for stealth, not for chrome plating, but a little, more for manufacture of airplanes.
I read once why only black paint was available but forget, anyone remember?

WOW....uncovering the original paint under all that "patina" is a very tedious and time consuming process....but I am very excited with the rich maroon color that is showing up...here are a few pics of the progress
ALL TORN DOWN

got my polishing compound and super fine steel wool ready

Cool contrast

Paint is starting to show on the right side

**Also thanks for all the comments **

Wow, that's gonna look soooooo cool if you can expose all that old rich red paint. Eagerly waiting update pictures now :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back