BO15 The Silver Maggot reborn

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, finally bugs are hardly landing on my frame, no snow, no rain, it’s 69 F, 55% humidity and the wind is minimal. I’m tired of messing with this bike so it’s getting a bad paint job today. It’s as good as it ever gets for painting here. I was going to give it away today for a retirement gift at a party but it won’t be ready. Soon, hopefully.
image.jpg
image.jpg

The bb I have won’t fit any of my used cranks. The box the bb came in has no info, it just says it’s for one piece cranks. It must be 28 tip. I ordered another. The headset cups I have (I have three new sets in the original boxes) are all too small so I used the cleaned up rusty original. I also ordered an old school BMX headset to see if that fits. Sometimes I have to order the Wald headset for old American cruisers and grind the nubs off with a Drexel tool to find a headset to fit these old bikes.

Sometimes I have to order the Wald headset for old American cruisers and grind the nubs off with a Drexel tool to find a headset to fit these old bikes.

Same here, but sometimes that's worth saving the frustration of trying 20 other combos

A new bb is coming. Mail is slow but I think I might get it this week. I’ll probably have to finish it with the old head set as the new one has been sitting forever in the USPS Center in Minnesota. last week I ordered some top tube protectors for track bikes from Taiwan. They were in Anchorage Alaska in a day. I though oh no. Next day they were in Rockford and the third day FedEx delivered them. The USPS is not getting any help or necessary funding and the local gas station will only take cash if you have exact change. They can’t get coins. Our government is falling apart. Go FedEx or UPS if you want stuff delivered. This unreliable mail is probably hurting other build off participants as well. I’ll finish if I get the bb.

Coming together well. What tires are those. Im looking for some options, havent found the ones I want in stock. Availability and mail service are an issue, prices are high too.

Coming together well. What tires are those. Im looking for some options, havent found the ones I want in stock. Availability and mail service are an issue, prices are high too.
They are pink wall tires from a Walmart Huffy Cranbrook. I used a magic marker to make the pink black. It had slightly bent rims so I got it for $76. I put the wheels on an old rusty woman’s fifties Columbia. I used the chain, bb and stashed the headset. You can’t buy the parts that reasonably. The Huffy frame is now part of my frame yard fence.

Liking the direction this is going. And Black Fly is unfortunately appropriate.
hope the Pony Express is on time.

The crank and BB came yesterday. All that remains is to put on the decals and head badge. I’ll try the new headset if it gets here before September. Rides good. Proud of myself for rescuing this as it was displayed on a fence as yard art. The woman had several cruisers displayed but this was her fathers and she gave it to me if I would bring it back. I made it into a klunker and raced it, but since then someone gave me a 41 Schwinn DX, and the parts from the Silver Maggot are now on that. The original skip tooth chain was destroyed from the elements and it now has a half inch drive.
image.jpg

Latest posts

Back