The Shop Scavenger ( new name: CHOPPRITTO)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
O.k. so between all of the great builds going on and the fact that I finally organized and cleaned the shop/storage, my building finger is itching! I've decided to build a bike outta odds and ends laying around the shop. Some are pieces of left over projects that never materialized, some bits and pieces from cut up frames and some parts that I found in the garbage. Using the front end of an old Worksman trike frame I got from the Ricksterr.

I know that all the cool guys are into the low/burrito-ish look, but I've found that most just don't fit me right. Usually the seat's too low. So I've opted to keep the seating at a comfy height while still going low. I think that as the bike progresses you guys may be surprised as to what is going on! :shock:

For the most part, the various colors will remain with a little roughing up to give it a well used look. I want it to be noticeable to everybody that this is truely a homebuilt "Anything Goes" type of bike. I'm hoping this will help to inspire more than a few people to take notice of this aspect of our hobby and jump on the bandwagon. :wink:

The only problem that worries me is that the Worksman portion has a twist to it, so I'll have to heat it and try to bend it back. I was aware of this before starting but I figured it was an easy fix. I know Ricky and his buddys were brutal to the bike, just how much was another thing! :( RICKY! If you can take a 20 year old Worksman Industrial trike (trike that hauled some heavy shtuff!) and break the back portion and twist the front, YOU GUYS ARE A BUNCH OF ANIMALS! :lol:

O.K. I'm gonna go and try to load the pics up ... once again! :? Photobucket hates me!
Thanks,
Chainy

Re: The Shop Scavenger aka Joe Don

GET ER'''''''' DONE!!!!!!

I've got dial up and it's kicking me off alot. I managed to get a couple of pics loaded ...

This first pic is the front half of Ricky's Workman and the remnants of my first attempt with it. I cut the rest of the first project off and this is the remains of what I'm using on the Shop Scavenger. Also a couple of extra pieces that I'll be using:
RRBAnythingGoes2009054.jpg

Also gonna use a couple of these forks. This ones a 24" and the other is a 26":
RRBAnythingGoes2009060.jpg

I'll keep playing with photobucket and hopefully get a few more loaded. :?

Put it all in a big pot, dream you design, stir it up, and see what you get. Better get crackin and make a fire for that pot!

The fires stoked and the stew is warming ...... I figured out my dialup numbers had been change to some crappy digits! :x It took me 6 hours to download the first two but once I changed numbers, I did three in 20 minutes. No speed demon but at least it's as fast as I'm used to. :p So on with the pics ......

I'll be using a couple of 24" rims and tires. The tires are a couple of the front Boas off some OCC Stingrays.
RRBAnythingGoes2009071.jpg

And here's the start of the scavenging ...
RRBAnythingGoes2009055.jpg

RRBAnythingGoes2009058.jpg

So eyeball these until tomorrow. Gigs is chomping at the bit for the computer. So I gots to go.
Chainy

lOVING IT Jim! :] Miss that old trike, i do.

Here's a little more on the progress. As you can see this aint no burrito. Sorry for the cluttered background!
RRBAnythingGoes2009062.jpg

RRBAnythingGoes2009061.jpg

I've got more to post but I'll have to do them tonight, Gotta go to work.
Enjoy

cluttered? I Jealous. gotta have stuff. :mrgreen:

dwaynev said:
cluttered? I Jealous. gotta have stuff. :mrgreen:

Yeah I gotz stuff! Scary things is ... it's only about a third of what I usually have! :shock: Lot's of bike parts went out a few weeks back to several of the Great Lakes Freaks.
What you guys can't see in the pictures is that the ceiling is packed with boxes of diecast cars, wrestling/boxing memorabilia, collectors dolls and other collectibles! About 10' x 20' of the back half also has alot of collectibles and some oddball stuff. Yeah I gotz stuff!

Thanks, I'm gonna try to get some pics up of the shop in the shop thread somewheres on the board.

So here's one of the forks with the wheel on ...
RRBAnythingGoes2009063.jpg

.... just not gonna use it on the front!
RRBAnythingGoes2009065.jpg

RRBAnythingGoes2009064.jpg

Let's add that 26" fork onto the rear also.
RRBAnythingGoes2009067.jpg

RRBAnythingGoes2009068.jpg

RRBAnythingGoes2009069.jpg

This setup will change alittle, I still gotta squeeze the seatpost in there. I got the idea, just gotta get some time tomorrow.

Chainey..This is "FREAKIN" cool!

Thanks guys! I hopefully can get back to Joe Don tomorrow. I had some winterizing to do around the house. The other night I worked alittle on it but nothing worthy of pictures.

Here's alittle back history on the "Joe Don" nameage:
Back in high school the name Joe Don wasn't always a good thing, if fact most of the time it was given to someone who was a wannabe or poser or just thought they were better at something than they actually were. "Joe Don" was usually followed up by a discriptive word. "Joe Don Motocrosser" was tagged on some local hotshoe who thought he was fast on the track .... but wasn't. Or "Joe Don Benchpresser", the guy who rock the bar with only minimum weights but you'd have thought he just set a world record!

So "Joe Don" seemed appropriate as an aka. This bike thinks it's a chopper, but also thinks it's a burrito, but it's really just a bunch of scavenged parts welded together. Heck it might even be "Joe Don Cool" when I'm done! :p

Deorman, this was during the 70s when Joe Don Baker was Walking Tall. I think this was more of a Holly thing that may or may not have oozed into other areas. I know the first time my cousin from Pontiac heard me use the term, he had no idea what I meant. I know the "Joe" thingy was used quite abit around the country as a form of sarcasm.

As long as I gotcha ya here ...
I've always wondered if our slang for going fast was ever used outside our area? "Putting it in the kitchen". It was mainly used by us guys who raced motocross but it did get picked up by others. It was kinda the same as "that guy cooked!" or "man, he was cooking when he came over that jump!" Instead, it went something like this, "As I came out on to the straight, I put in the kitchen!"

I have other slangs that I always questioned about as to whether they were regional or not. Maybe some day I'll start a thread either here or on FBN ( or both). I think it might be interesting to hear others slang for things. Who knows it may take form of a custom bikers language!

Latest posts

Back