the Sharkbike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, here goes. Im in the buildoff. But the bike I hope to build isn't going to be a rat bike, its going to be a shark bike.
Now a little more info about me and this bike. For the past almost 20 years I have been creating artworks, I consider sculpture, based on automobile parts. Originally I was building pieces using car parts and wood, then about 15 years ago I got a hood ornament that I thought someday would be used as a dorsal fin on a fish. Well, when it was time to build this fish I didn't have a piece of wood that I wanted to use, but my eyes were drawn to some of my expired license plates hanging in the shop, I then shaped them into a fish using that hood ornament and other car parts. It sold quickly at show I built it for, and that was the beginning of want I call "Fish-N-License". So now most of the artwork I build uses car parts and license plates.
Now for years, I have had the idea of building a "Fish-n-License" bike. And the time to do that is NOW.

Here is a few pics of some "Fish-n-License"
top a Marlin
middle a Shark, setting on the beer keg for this pic, is a pool table light at a local pub
bottom a Large Mouth Bass
img003-1.jpg

042.jpg

The Sharkbike..
scale drawing
img001.jpg

Using a Schwinn Varsity
055.jpg

The mouth will a 1955 Ford headlight door(bezel)
060.jpg

the eyes are park lights from an unknown source
it will use one of my bent seatpost
and will use 1963 Caddy tailights as tips of the tail
057.jpg

and many license plates will be used.
065.jpg

Probably won't be an everyday cruiser but it will be great for parades and special occasions.

You should use some old bicycle licence plates to make some "shark bait" somewhere on it.
Looks like a great build, I'm watching this one! :D

Wow, hardcore project ya got there. My question would be about turning radius, in order for the body to be narrow (like a fish!), you wouldn't be able to turn very sharply.

I think a much smaller front wheel (16") would give you a sharper turning radius. Just make a longer fork for it to level it out. Bonus! it would also require a smaller cutout for the wheel.

Ambitious project. Your art work is amazing. I have seen some license plate art before but I really like you take on it.

this isn't another fish story is it?

thats one wicked concept, can' wait to follow your progress.

Seems fishy to me :lol:
Hey maybe you can carry a big fishing pole when riding it, using a smaller fish (also made out of a license plate) as the bait.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gciFoEbOA8

Awesome project Dan! Glad you joined, that makes five local builders in this buildoff.

Cant wait to see the finished result, this is gonna be good!

Thanks for the interest in the Sharkbike, and yes its going to be a major project for me. But when its done the heads this bike is going to turn will be worth every hour I got into it times ten.
To date my largest piece was an airplane for a community art project here in Wichita back in 2003, for Wichita's (The Air Capital of the World) aviation fest celabrating the 100 years of flight. I was one of 33 artists that started with a crude 7 1/2 ft x 7 1/2 ft hi-density foam airplane, then shaped and painted (EXCEPT for the one I did) into sculptures that were placed around the city for the summer and then auctioned off with the moneys going to various charities, the money from the plane I did went to Make A Wish. The plane I built was sponsored by a Ford dealer, therefore I shaped it to resemble a P-51 Mustang, using Mustang grill ponys in the air scoops on the plane, then covered it with 160 license plates, plates from all 50 states were used. 250 hours of labor later it was done. After the auction the new owner donated it to our science museum, Exploration Place where it is part of the avaition exhibit.
Mustang Pilots License
img002.jpg

Well the Sharkbike will be fun to create and ITS MINE, I don't have to give it away, and I can ride it.

Diabolical_Dork said:
You should use some old bicycle licence plates to make some "shark bait" somewhere on it.
Looks like a great build, I'm watching this one! :D
I have some Wichita bicycle plates from the 1960s and 70s, but not enough to make an arm or leg, but I do have a bunch of cereal box license plates, hmmm.

bighit said:
i think you are going to need a bigger milk crate of plates. sorry i couldnt resist. will you be taking donations of plates?
450redrider said:
I think we're gonna need a bigger boat :lol: Hey Dan if you need some more license plates let me know I have some
udallcustombikes said:
450redrider said:
I think we're gonna need a bigger boat :lol: Hey Dan if you need some more license plates let me know I have some
Ditto for me.
Thanks for the offer , but I have a few plates, about 5000.

JoKeR63 said:
Wow, hardcore project ya got there. My question would be about turning radius, in order for the body to be narrow (like a fish!), you wouldn't be able to turn very sharply.

I think a much smaller front wheel (16") would give you a sharper turning radius. Just make a longer fork for it to level it out. Bonus! it would also require a smaller cutout for the wheel.
Thanks for the suggestion but Im going to try it with the wheels that are on the bike so I don't have to change the front brake, I think Im gonna need as much brake as I can get. And as for the turning radius Ive done something like this but with cardboard and was able to cut a radius a little larger than the tires so turning was not a problem, Hope this works using licencse plates.

Gold Street Customs said:

That would be cool to have a Jaws sound track on board.... dudah....dudah...dudah..dudah.dudah.dudah.dudah.

Brainstorming
WeldItGasolineGallery007.jpg
I remember the builder telling me there was a late 70's early 80's Kawasaki 650 under the hand formed skin. He rode it in to the show and it was cool live in color. The grey beard on the right with the blue doo rag is the builder. Maybe you can spin off some ideas for your build. Nice concept. Love your plate art!

Latest posts

Back