The Seymour Strider

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm making a custom strider bike for my grandson's 2nd birthday, which comes this November. I was going to make this anyway, so why not enter it? Also, sometimes in the rules of build offs it says something like "must be pedal powered," but since I don't see that, I figure it's good to go!

I bought this Radio Flyer strider for $8 at the flea market. I will be using it's solid wheels, seat tube/post, and possibly the head tube and fork. The plan is to make a cool custom strider with the Seymour name pinstriped on it that can be passed to any Seymour family members that currently have little ones. The hope is that this thing will be getting passed around long after I'm gone, though it doesn't always work that way. I could totally picture my son giving it to some idiot friend or neighbor, and there it goes.

Anyhoo, here's the starting point:
IMG_5446_zpsghfmh5kd.jpg

Very scooterish..I like it! My next door neighbor got one last year for his three year old son, now four. He bought a 16" bicycle for him three weeks ago, the boy jumped on and rode immediately with NO training wheels.

ha ha Cute. We all have to start somewhere. You could always weld a bottom bracket in with cap ends. That way it could revert to a pedal bike as he gets older.

The hope is that this thing will be getting passed around long after I'm gone, though it doesn't always work that way. I could totally picture my son giving it to some idiot friend or neighbor, and there it goes.
Let him know what YOUR plan was!

I did this bike for my son in 2007. http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/...c-3bc9-49c1-879a-9047547c54aa_zpstfytciq1.jpg It was his grandfather's bike, '36 Monarch. We found it in his cellar after he died. My father-in-law used to tell stories of everywhere he went on it. It was pretty beat up when we found it. I should have just left it alone, not to smart back then. Any way my son LOVES it! It still looks like the day I gave it to him. He does take it out for short rides. One day it will be his daughter's bike, and hopefully her kids will be next. So actually I'm glad I re-made this bike. Because someone that doesn't appreciate "ratty" would probably toss it out.

Hopefully one day a grandchild will look down at their son or daughter and say: Great Grandpa made this!

Can't go wrong building some cool for your family just don't make it to nice or it will end up at the pawn shop. Just kidding that be my kids [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This gonna be rad. Get em Deven

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

This is gonna be fun!

I found this cool pic today and thought of your strider. I'll just drop this here for idea fodder.

cafe.jpg

Make any 'strides' lately on this build? :rolleyes:

I've made a little progress, but not enough to justify pics. Every Friday in the shop seems to give me something else to distract me from working on it.

Latest posts

Back