"The Salt Shaker" update 8/1 finshed

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: "The Salt Shaker" update 7/25 got light and salt caps

drabe said:
HotRodJen said:
maddogrider said:
pardon the greasy/dirty hands "never trust a girl with out grease under her nails" someone once told me that.
Man thats what i look for in a girl. Anyway on the wheel disks. What if you use those fastners that have a little spring in there one 1/4 turn with a screw driver and they are released like what they use on a nascar hood, i wish i knew what they where called, maybe somebody else will know. The salt shaker bar ends are cool.
they are called zuse fasteners and they are to big for what im doing

Dzus...sorry for the correction.
dzus hahaha who would of thought to put a d in front :)

[/quote]they are called zuse fasteners and they are to big for what im doing[/quote]

Dzus...sorry for the correction.[/quote]
dzus hahaha who would of thought to put a d in front :)[/quote]

History lesson (from Wikipedia): Dzus (pronounced Zooss) is a proprietary name for a type of quarter-turn fastener often used to secure skin panels on aircraft. It was invented by William Dzus in the early 1930s.

Now we both know! :wink:

they are called zuse fasteners and they are to big for what im doing[/quote]

Dzus...sorry for the correction.[/quote]
dzus hahaha who would of thought to put a d in front :)[/quote]

History lesson (from Wikipedia): Dzus (pronounced Zooss) is a proprietary name for a type of quarter-turn fastener often used to secure skin panels on aircraft. It was invented by William Dzus in the early 1930s.

Now we both know! :wink:[/quote]
thank ya buddy

Re: "The Salt Shaker" update 7/23 wheel disc started

HotRodJen said:
and juggy the orange i used is pumpkin patch orange by krylon,you can see if rustoleum has orange ,,,orrrr if you dont mind spending the money get auto paint in a spray can and go for hugger orange its the pontiac color from the 60's/70's that thing will wake anyone up who sees it lol
Haha thank you, I look for something around hugger orange in a rattle can. Really nice color haha. My older bro is gonna help me with the actual painting 'cause of my limited experience with spray painting and him being an ex graffiti artist haha.

"Number Five is alive!" haha. I love short circuit...Very cool headlights.

nice work on the bike, jenn! she's comin' together very nicely :)

as for the wheel covers, have you considered using stacker bolts to secure them together? it wouldn't be much of a hassle to remove/install, and you could get bolts that would fit a triple chainring (they're longer). it could work...? if you know somebody who hoards bike parts, you might be able to do a lil trade for a few :)

at any rate, good luck! can't wait to see the finished product :D

alrighty everyone i've been in the garage since i got off of work the discs are 99 percent done i need to clean them up and tweak a bit . keep in mind this is my first time working with aluminum and air sheers i did my BEST for being a newbie at it they are not perfect circles its super awkward for me to use those air sheers my arms/wrists are killing me right now they dont work like i thought they would so theres a bit of the orange showing from the rim . i did have to cone the front b/c the hub is wider then the back i didnt know that until i already cut the circles out so i had to go back and cut a seam and over lap it a bit only room enough to put one screw in . drilled 6 hole along the edges and used a lock nut on the other side, the back ones also had to be over lapped a bit . all lessons learned and if i make another aluminum set i will take all of these into consideration and maybe get a thicker peice and have someone else tango with the air sheers my skinny arms cant take it lol :oops:
951009598_UEWHx-L.jpg

finger prints everywhere hahaha !
951009645_b3SPA-L.jpg

thought this looked neat

Re: "The Salt Shaker" update 7/28 discs on

finally! I've been following your work and anticipating the moment you'd reveal these disks, we should quit our day jobs and go into business together building bikes. ps, next time i need stitching done on a seat I'm coming to you.haha

jaysinaces said:
finally! I've been following your work and anticipating the moment you'd reveal these disks, we should quit our day jobs and go into business together building bikes. ps, next time i need stitching done on a seat I'm coming to you.haha
yaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!! your on here sweeeet hahahaha ... next time i need a wheel disc cut out maybe we will swap work u have more muscles then me lol , just wait until these babies are cleaned up when i put these discs on the bike i did the happy tip toe dance lol

very nic jen! love the colors and discs. i have a woman's bike waiting on me that she wants bright orange and purple as her colors. wonder if i can talk her into wheel discs?! :p

thank you everyone !
well since my bike kinda has to be done for tomorrow b/c some of us are bringing our build off bikes to a cruise night, i did odds and ends on it today i did end up scotch brightin the discs in a circular motion made them look more uniformed , tightened down my seat bolts, touched up the paint, put the ding dong bell on it .. rode it around . put my cheesy plastic lisence plate on it (will look for a cool one).. and rode it around some more lol, the salt shaker caps the epoxy didnt work long story so i jb welded them and they are drying.
i also got my shelby back together b/c i need to bring that with me in my travels this weekend ..
i think thats all i did today hahaha

discs look great :mrgreen: (and glad to see someone actually made some!).....next time you might try a body saw to cut them out since itll give you a better chance of getting a better radius than shears(not that they look bad at all....just something for future projects since youll probably get people wanting you to make them some for $)

sensor said:
discs look great :mrgreen: (and glad to see someone actually made some!).....next time you might try a body saw to cut them out since itll give you a better chance of getting a better radius than shears(not that they look bad at all....just something for future projects since youll probably get people wanting you to make them some for $)

Can you get router bits that cut metal? If so that seems like an easy way to get them in perfect circles, just make a jig for the router. I have one for cutting speaker holes in wood, but same principle could be applied on a larger scale if the bit worked.

Latest posts

Back