"The Salt Shaker" update 8/1 finshed

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: "The Salt Shaker" update 7/12 Pinstriped!

Dig that... kool kolors... fantastic job!

"but i hated painting with rustoleum so oh well"

What is different about rustoleum? I'm clear coating my frame and haven't bought the paint yet.

I can only add to what's already been said. Fantastic! Where did you aquire your painting skills?

Wildcat said:
"but i hated painting with rustoleum so oh well"

What is different about rustoleum? I'm clear coating my frame and haven't bought the paint yet.

the clear for rustoleum looks awesome high gloss, but the nozzle gums up alot and makes it a paint in the butt . on the other hand the krylon gloss clear doesnt even look like a clear coat doesnt feel like one either but sprays on nice ... next time i paint something im going to test out if i can spray color with kyrlon and clear it with rustoleum's clear ill insert a picture to show u
715497633_qi2Jt-L.jpg

the monark above was done in rustoleum and has the clear on it .. see how glossy it is i did a primer,paint and clear on it the whole bike shines

932831293_n8uJf-L.jpg

this is the chain guard of the salt shaker you can see it doesnt have that high gloss look to it . and it has a primer,paint and clear on it

mikek said:
I can only add to what's already been said. Fantastic! Where did you aquire your painting skills?
im still learning! :) for sray bomb this is my 2nd time painting a bike actually .. pinstriping i picked up a few years ago i do alot geared in the hot rod world, been around cars my whole life and love them so paint ideas some to me easily... lettering is more challenging for me and im taking on that challenge as we type haha

ok sooo today i painted the hardwear .. yea the cheap route sorry on a budget
i need to get new tubes im just going to use the old tires ... there pretty awesome lookin so why not
want to make a paper patern for the wheel disc's tonight along with pinstriping the back fender .. ontop of a guitar i need to get done asap but im addicted to this bike ..

oh ya i need to find a switch to fit in the switch hole on the tank :| :?:

so i had to make a trip to radio shack for something totally not bike related then i thought about the whole tank light switch and battery tray ... radio shack should have switches? ... radio shack should have something to hold double d batterys right ? ... SCORE found a switch that fits to the T into the tank switch hole even where it screws in , and the battery tray fits , i need to attach the long skinny braket that screws into the bottom of the tank onto the new tray .. and figure out how to wire all of this to work hahaha .... and i got the tubes for the tires

.. i did not pinstripe anything on the bike today :( ... really had to work on this guys guitar finshed that and now im relieved and can focus on the bike tomorrow

definitely one of the best pinstripe jobs i've ever seen! very nice!

HotRodJen, I'm becoming a big fan of yours.

Because Rustoleum is an oil based paint, it flows as it dries basically self leveling. Krylon is acrylic so it needs to be put on in wetter coats. I usually spray one or two mist coats to seal then two or three wet coats of Krylon. There is a fine line between wet enough and too wet where it'll run.

AirBoston said:
HotRodJen, I'm becoming a big fan of yours.

Because Rustoleum is an oil based paint, it flows as it dries basically self leveling. Krylon is acrylic so it needs to be put on in wetter coats. I usually spray one or two mist coats to seal then two or three wet coats of Krylon. There is a fine line between wet enough and too wet where it'll run.
well thank you very much :) ,
ahh haaa didnt read up on rustoleum being oil based , i love the look of the paint but hated the tip that it sprayed out of maybe ill switch tips might help me out ,
and the krylon i did do the mist coats and then i tried another heavier coat really didnt want any runs .. ill take this into consideration next time thanks so much

alrighty since i want to keep it on the cheap side since the $ went into the aluminum i didnt feel like finding and paying for skinny tires for this bicycle .. i looked at the old one yea theres a few cracks but it will be fine :) .. but talk about dirty and faded so with my insiration being bonneville i thought back to a great movie the world fastest indian and burt used shoe polish on his tires ...
well i so happen to have shoe polish so i "polished" my tires
935147609_gJXLX-L.jpg
kiwi works great!
it was time consuming b/c the detail in the tire
935147641_RJfru-L.jpg

935147656_pMCaC-L.jpg
can ya see the difference?
935147679_W3gkf-L.jpg
like new
935147579_fS2fN-L.jpg

back fender is done , thats all the pinstriping i can do on it b/c the back rack will block the rest
and then ...
935147591_9pJYi-L.jpg

i worked on making a templet for the wheel disc's
935147700_da8RA-L.jpg

thats just a pic of it layed on there there will be a over lap piece to size it to the rim better

Re: "The Salt Shaker" update 7/14 TIRES and more lines

now seats ...
the seat that was on it forget it i hate it , so i think im going to take my 49 schwinn leopard print seat and recover it in something just for now ... since the schwinn is down :( .. i should take a look threw my fabric and shirts see if i can come up with something fun ..

i also cant rock a front basket on the bike b/c the headlight ... so i picked up a crate to strap onto the back rack( i will put something to protect the paint) .. ill only prob use the crate for when im at bonneville to tug my camera gear/water /sunblock around ... im of corse painting the crate .. just a little bit :)

Latest posts

Back