The "Salt Flyer" pics

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, after actually reading the rules for bike build offs, mine doesn't meet the criteria this time around. My bike was basically already together. Originally I was hoping the moderator could move this to the Bike Build thread, not the Bike Buildoff #3 thread, oh well. Just don't vote for me. ;) But, still enjoy the pics and maybe I can do it for BBO#4.
That's all.

Your bike looks cool dude. I like the stance. She needs some ape hangers :D love it. Gotta get your boy a ratrod bike too :mrgreen:

100_6103.jpg

So, while I was at the Salt Flats hangin' out in my buddies family pits for their '29 Ford roadster Land Speed racer, my buddies dad, Larry Volk, who is President of the 200 MPH Club said, "hey, you need to flip the handle bars upside down, for that aerodynamic streamliner motorcycle look". That was after I told him about my flipped fork springer thinking I was all cool. He new what a JC Higgins was. That guy is the man! So, in Honor of the Volkster, here's a few pics of the Salt Flyer with flipped down bars. I'm lovin it. I'm too big for this bike though. I'm 6'4". LOL I feel big on it but who cares, its so fun to ride.
100_6188.jpg

100_6190.jpg

100_6191.jpg

100_6189.jpg

Cool bike. I note the Coker Monster Cruiser in the background of one shot- those are neat, too.

You mentioned bike size. That's sort of a pet peave with me. The problem is, back when they were making a lot of these cool bikes, not many adults rode bikes, and so the "men's" frames were generally aimed at juveniles, which means they're on the smallish side for adult men, especially large men. It's pretty much that way today in cheap cruiser bikes; I think you can get a few styles in larger frame sizes. I've pondered having a custom-made double bar frame made in a larger size, maybe using 28" or 29" wheels instead of 26" so it can scale up some.

Looks like the tank is from a mens higgens flight liner but I cant figure out the front or rear rack . I know for a fact that the womens Flight Liner had a almost V like rear rack but to tell the truth I dont believe Ive ever seen A complete Mens model. Either way you scored. Hope She glides as good as she looks.

Some guys at the No Show said its got a '52 2 Sprocket or something like that and that the rear rack is not original. It's definitely ratted out from a few different bikes, but its cool! She does glide pretty good, but I do need to get the wheels trued up. Besides that, it rides great.

OK, so I wanted to see what it would look like without the rear luggage rack. I think it is looking good. It fits the front bars and springer mods.
100_6220-1.jpg

100_6219.jpg

100_6221-1.jpg

it does look awesome, and it gives me ideas on what to do to my flightliner....hehe.

Thanks for the replys. It's fun to say, "I think I'm going to do this today to my bike" and within about 15 minutes be done and ridign it around the block. I need to take some good pics of it today and post my final pics in the build off.

I'm thinking of tearing it down this winter and redoing it, paiting it. We'll see. I may end up getting a different bike so I can ride around while I build the other.
Too much fun!
Chris

OK, here's the final entry pics.
100_6240.jpg

100_6238.jpg

Tonight I removed the light tank. That thing is heavy!
hechtrod

Wait, not done yet! :) I have an '87 Fugi Sagres SP 12 speed road bike with 700x25 skinnies. I have seen the big n little look and I like it. So, I thought I'd give it a go tonight. It worked great, and the bike is even faster! I guess those skinnies are the fastest way around the street. Here's a couple of crappy nightpics. The front skinny even has a mini white wall to go with the big white wall in the rear.
100_6267.jpg

100_6263.jpg

100_6260.jpg

Latest posts

Back