The "Salt Flyer" pics

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, just joined this forum a few days ago. This site is cool. I'm a huge car nut, all types, but I have a special spot for old rat rods, old hot rods, anything old that is customized. I can't afford my own '32 roadster or '64 Falcon, so I picked up this '59-'61 JC Higgins (that's what I think it is, by looking at oldroads.com and searching on google). Anyway, I picked this up for $80 from a local vintage bike enthusiast who is also into old air-cooled vw's. I live in Utah and am hopefully taking the Salt Flyer back home to the Salt Flats for Speed Week next week. I'm in the brainstorming stage of how I want this bike to look eventually. I've gotten tons of ideas just lurking around your build threads and stuff. I even saw the Bonneville Racer bike, great idea there. I'm going to enjoy it in all its Patina Glory for now and probably this winter when the snow is on the ground, I'll start working on the bike for a Spring release. I'll use this thread to document the resto-mod work. I've got an '87 Fuji road bike that I bought for $200 last summer that I'm thinking of selling for some money for parts or another bike to work on. ;) I bought it to exercise but we bought an elliptical machine so I don't need it anymore, right?! So, why did I buy this thing. Well, it really comes down to 2 things. 1) I can't afford a real hot rod car, so in my years of looking around, this seems to be the next best thing that I can actually afford and 2) I went for a bike ride on the California coast the other week along the Sunset Beach path on a cruiser bike with a loud ringer bell. I had to have one. ;)
Chris "hechtrod" Hecht
100_5896.jpg

100_5888.jpg

100_5895.jpg

100_5894.jpg

5989775.jpg

Thanks man! :) ha ha I have been in edit mode for an hour figuring out my new Photobucket account so I could post up on this thread. I finally figured it out. Yesss!

So, what do you rodders think? Give me some ideas on colors, mods, wheels/tires, bars, seat. Most of it looks good to use. I need to straighten out the spokes, but besides that, it just needs a paintjob, polish up the chrome, etc. Thanks for looking and help a brother out with some mods ideas.
Chris

Just finished my first mod. I lowered the seat all the way down. It looks better I think. Need to get a pic tomorrow to compare.
hechtrod

Welcome to the site man. Im ricky xD. i LOVE The bike, i say: Get some ape hanger handle bars, Get a rear fender bob it, do the same thing to your forks as boneshaker did on his buildoff bike, and ride that bad boy 8) Thats just me. Make your bike your own, after all thats what its all about. Enjoy your self man.

Great bike!
Welcome from a fellow Utahn

Ricky, thanks for pointing me to Bone's build and his flipped fork. Great idea and it looks easy to do and helps the front end of the bike. I'll try that tonight. While seeing the front headlights of many bikes on the site and the fact that my light tank is missing all internals, I noticed my tank looks like the front of an F-86 Sabre's intake duct. Here's a pic. This is one of the USA's first jets, designed and built in the early 50's, late late 40's after WWII.
86sabreintake.jpg

5989775.jpg

Just for anyone who cares, that light on underneath the bars is not there, the previous owner kept it. I need a better pic of the front of my bike now.

What should I do for handle bar grips. They need something...

Just realized I should probably have this thread in the Build Forum. Dang, any mods who can move it for me?
Thanks

That bike has nothing but personality, I really like the way it looks, as far as what to do with it I dont think I would do much other than making sure everything is in good condition, bearings,chain,ect. As far as grips check out the rat bike shops posted at this site so many choices good luck.

OK, thanks to Ricky and Boneshaker on the flipped spring fork mod idea, I tried it out tonight. Check out the pics. I didn't know what to expect, if the bolts were going to be hard to get off, etc. I was happily surprised to see that this mod went pretty easy. Just unbolted the spring forks, swapped the brackets and turned them 180 degrees, bolted everything back on (with a smidge of white grease on the threads) and boddabing, The Salt Flyer is a little longer and lower. The tank is not 100% solid to the frame and so I had to ziptie it up as much as it would go (only about 1/2" of slop) and it was able to clear the steering action for my post mod cruise around the neighborhood. I couldn't take it to its first show stock right?! :) I'm taking it to the "No Show" on Saturday morning in Layton, Utah, an Air-cooled VW and Vintage bike gathering. I just need to get the wheels trued up and it will be killer!
100_5912-1.jpg

100B5970.jpg

100B5950.jpg

100B5920.jpg

100_5910.jpg

After seeing the difference between pre and post fork flip, I'm loving the look big time. And there's a shot of Hechtrod, that's me! :oops: 8)

Somebody asked about clearance issues with mine......I've been ridin it for a month or so and haven't had a bit of trouble.......course I only weigh 140 too!!!

DUDE, IT LOOOOOKS KICK BUTT! I LOVE IT! Im using the fork trick on my next bike. :)

As for grips, anything would work. :p
Uhh yeah hect, Ur bike kicks butt.

Thanks Rickster! I agree, it looks awesome. Man, I'm having fun! It was so easy and added a lot to the "look" of the bike.

As far as grips, I'm thinking an old white grip. I think someone on this site had some old grips, but he had sold all his old white ones. I could go to a shop and pick some up. Walmart didn't have any when I cruised the toy section with my boys tonight. ;)

Just need to get these wheels straight. The tire rubs. I can't wait to take it to the "No Show" and show it off. I think the previous owner will be there, I think he'll like it.

I'm loving this site. I need to get another bike for a project to tear apart. Anyway...back to folding clothes and watching the Olympics. Go USA!!

100_6044.jpg

100_5991.jpg

100_6004.jpg

100_6018.jpg

100_6043.jpg

I took my bike to the No Show yesterday. It was good times! Lots of cool bikes and vw's. Check the Event Thread under No Show for more pics.

So, RickyRod sent me some old white Schwinn grippies for my bike and they came a day earlier than anticipated. Just in time for Speed Week tomorrow at the Salt Flats. He also sent me some killer "Freak Bike Militia" decals, trying to figure out where to put them. In my killer decal collection for now.
100_6058.jpg

100_6055.jpg

100_6054.jpg

100_6059.jpg

100_6056.jpg

Latest posts

Back