The Rollfast Controversy...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
got a nice shiny 22 tooth rear chain ring... it should pedal pretty nice...

DSC02180.jpg

dug a couple of sets of pedals out of the parts pile...

DSC02185.jpg

DSC02182.jpg

got the frame nice and smooth, primered and wetsanded... now for the paint treatment...

DSC02186.jpg

just a caution for anyone who hasn't used the House of Kolor kandy colors yet... they go on super thin, it takes a lot of coats for the color to really show up, and it's real easy to get runs. (it's got to be a money making scam, cause the small cans are expensive, the color is thin, so you have to go out and buy more...)

DSC02190.jpg

DSC02187.jpg

well, i got the color coats on the frame... still need to do clear coats...

still have to do the fork, and the chainguard.

i'm having a hard time photographing this... flash, no flash, lights on, lights off, cant really get the true color or the sparkle to come through in the pics...

DSC02250.jpg

DSC02253.jpg

DSC02254.jpg

still have a long way to go before this is going to be finished... hope i make the deadline!

well, i must admit i did struggle for a while about whether or not to paint it...
i do recognize the value in keeping things all original. i have done restorations on vintage Vespas, but in the same breath i shaved, filled and customized a 62' impala (it has 59' caddy tail lights... and flamethrowers...)

but i got to thinking.... the hot rod car, is about taking a stock vehicle and changing it, modifying it to suit the whims of the owner, to make it your own, to make it go faster, or to give it a personality.

it wouldnt have done me any good to leave it the way it was. it would have sat in the back of my garage, unridden... for the sake of what? a little value?

it looks a lot better painted and i see you have painting skills as well very cool. how smooth is the finish with the glitter spray layer added?

WOW :shock:

Way to go man, the paint is looking awesome.

I would suggest taking pics of the paint job outside in the daylight.....you will get much better results without a flash. And if the sun comes out where you live...even better! :mrgreen:

karfer67 said:
it looks a lot better painted and i see you have painting skills as well very cool. how smooth is the finish with the glitter spray layer added?

i did the glitter coat on top of the base coat, then did the lime over it. after several color coats, it's actually smoother than i thought it would be... however, the color coats really subdued the sparkle. i might do another glitter coat on top, then clear over it.

i think after a few clear coats it will be smooth, if not i might have to wet sand...

here is what i've learned about the glitter spray:

1. the flakes are very small. kinda like a metallic paint, but they are more reflective. i wish there was a way to do bigger flakes, rattle can style.

2. it is real easy to get nasty runs. the stuff is hard to see, and you need to go light. what ever the solvent is, is nasty, i hope it doesn't compromise my paint job.

3. this makes a big mess. i have been doing my paint in the driveway, on a little home made stand i welded together. this glitter just flies around all over the place. if there is any breeze, it's even worse.
i have sparkle all over my driveway. it gets on your clothes, in your hair, on your skin...

4. after spraying the glitter on, you don't want to touch the surface. once it is dry, it looks like you could just wipe it off.

5. though i like the results, there's got to be a better way...

thanks for all the positive comments guys,

hopefully my experiments will benefit everyone... :wink:

oct.

STOP!
don't put another Glitter coat on!
sorry..just my 2 cents...
it will gibble it all up!

let the flake be subtle..that's era correct.
once spring comes it will show..trust me..
it will glitter like the stars in the true Sunshine.
It looks perfect now.And another Glitter coat will have you doing Multiple
top coats..which MAY take away from the depth of that beautiful
Candy Paint job you did..
it is a beautiful job..I know how hard Candy is..
leave well enough alone..it looks great!

"was that my inside voice talking"
:mrgreen:

Before i stripped and sanded the paint, i scanned into my computer, the graphics on the tank, and the chainguard...

so....

i printed some out.

DSC02279.jpg

got some contact paper.... (one of my favorites...)

DSC02281.jpg

cut out a nice little stencil...

DSC02282.jpg

check it out! the original graphics mysteriously reappear back on the tank!

DSC02284.jpg

DSC02283.jpg

if you look closely, on the left of the tank, you will see some of my blood!
and seeing as that part of the tank will be covered by the head light...
it's getting clear coated over!!
:wink:

here is the frame, outside in the driveway, on my makeshift stand...
it has already received one whole can of clear...

DSC02286.jpg

DSC02285.jpg

Latest posts

Back