The Quitter: A little Progress 7/1

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Quitter

Finally finished moving yesterday.

Something I forgot to note: This stupid thing is stuck in there so i'm probably cutting off the cranks. It's stripped, and so is the thread on the cranks.

Looks like you have your work cut out for you! Good luck! Can't wait to see what you come up with!

I wonder how electrolysis would work on that rust? I did a basketcase sting ray in a tub of water and TSP battery charger and all the rust was gone.

I had a crank badly rusted like that, lots of penetrating oil and a propane torch cured it.

excited about your build for sure! but what is the MTB in the back ground of the last pic?

Troy

Wowa! Finally, a tiny bit of progress! I removed the cranks (cut them off) and found two holes in the frame when I stripped it down to bare steel. I'll probably seal those of with JB weld or something. I don't plan on painting it, i'm going to clear coat it in matte. The rewelds and whatnot look fantastic in my opinion. Camera died mid-way through trying to take pictures. I would've used my phone but the lens on it is scratched so bad the photos look terrible.

I purchased a shelby fork, which I cannot find my pictures of.

The bearing cups were trashed, so i'll have to press different ones in.

Love this junction thingy.

Also treated the inside of the frame with this stuff. It comes with a fancy brass fitting on the tip of the tube that diffuses the coating. You get what seems to be enough to do like 2-3 frames.

jats said:
excited about your build for sure! but what is the MTB in the back ground of the last pic?

Troy

That's my azonic steelhead I recently purchased back from a buyer. Missed it. Ill post pictures of that later!

Some minor progress!

Just a small example of some of the brazing which is everywhere on the bike.

The internal frame coating ended up drying on a couple spots where it leaked out of the frame. Looked kind of interesting where it was, so i just kept it around.

One of the rewelds on the frame. There is some light pinkish red on it that you can't really see in this picture, but it looked pretty cool in the right light.

More brazing, as well as the shoddy frame repair up front. When I took the rust off, all of the brazing came out and it actually looked pretty cool!

Almost Done

Those were from the 22nd up until now. Still working a lot of hours with a couple days off here and there. Don't feel so great all the time, so I can't work too much at home.

Clear Coat!

This stuff coated pretty well in my opinion

And for a mockup...finally. I am using one of those schwinn style headsets.

And with the fork!

Digging that springer!

Latest posts

Back