The Psycle Elgin

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally finished the Elgin - YEAH! I started with a pre-war Elgin frame that I picked up on eBay from a guy in Fort Worth, TX. He had already blasted the frame, primed and painted it a really cool color, Rust-Oleum's Painter's Choice Oregano. It looked so nice coming out of the box that I decided to keep it that color.

I gathered some redbrick 26 x 2.125's from Hulumula (on the 'bay again), and did lots of searching at BikeWorldUSA to find all the parts needed to get the Elgin on the road. A visit to Wally World got me the cruiser seat, grips and that huge bell. I kept everything in the stock chrome and figured the bike would look better on those sunny days in Minnesota. After several test runs and fittings, I got her where she rides nice and is very comfortable for me. (I'm a clydesdale at 6'1" 200 so, comfort was required).

The Elgin has been getting lots of looks when I cruise town (sure will be glad when it gets in the 30s and a bit warmer, haha). I rode her 4 miles to the lake and back today to take pictures and she was great!

Hope you all enjoy my first bits-and-pieces bike. I can really see how you learn to appreciate the mechanics and simplicity of the bicycle when you build one from scratch. I have a better appreciation for what you "experts" do with steel tubes and rubber.

Special thanks to BENDIX for the 5/8" saddle clamp so the seat would stay put. Also, thanks to all you builders out there who provided the inspiration, guidance, advice and knowledge from my lurking in the background and reading what y'all have been doing.

Here's some pictures of the Elgin today -- just some "middle of the road" stuff.

MYDC0014.jpg

MYDC0016.jpg

MYDC0017.jpg

MYDC0018.jpg

MYDC0019.jpg

MYDC0021.jpg

MYDC0022.jpg

MYDC0012.jpg

(I hope I put these pictures in correctly............Psycle Harry)

Very impressive!

Very nice build. How do you like that Bell seat? I saw one at Chinamart and thought about buying it but didn't. B607

B607 said:
Very nice build. How do you like that Bell seat? I saw one at Chinamart and thought about buying it but didn't. B607

The Bell saddle is decent for the $26 they want for it. The vinyl cover seems to be good stuff. the chrome trim on the back and sides is made of plastic rather than metal. That is too bad. It is a good saddle for looks, comfortable to sit on. However, not sure how it would handle rain, sunshine or time.

I picked it up as a matter of convenience. I'm 40 miles from a Wally World so I tend to buy "stuff" when I happen to be there whether I need it or not, haha.

Latest posts

Back