The Partridge

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
One thing I neglected to mention in my intro is my love for British 3spd cyclery. Sadly they mostly build diamond frame bikes, making them somewhat less desirable in the ratrod community. So then my neighbor gives me a western flyer frame that is what I like to call a “reverse cantilever”. The seat stays go straight to the head tube and the top tube curves down to the bottom tube.
I was going to install my usual complement of high handlebars, big seat, fenders and guards, but that has been done to death by myself and others.
I went thru a box of parts and found a set of drop bars, so I jammed them in the mock up and knew I was on the right track. It’s gonna’ get bobbed fenders and not much more than what you see.
British frames are notoriously lite and this one’s no exception. So turning it into a racer just fits, and elevates it to ratrod status.
Paint may be green or a dark grey, haven’t decided yet.
This entry is a little late, but since it’s just an assembly job I’m sure I can get it done in time.
Stay tuned…………………………….
prtrdg01001-1.jpg

PS, if you guess where I got the name, you could win fabulous prizes! :D

sensor said:
cool looking frame! im guessing cuz it slightly resembles the partridges on the beginning of the partridge family???
glad to have you in on this too :mrgreen:

We have a winner!!!!!!!

Tell'em what he's won, Don............................................ :D

Gold Street Customs said:
So is it going with the bus paint scheme...I dare ya...I double dog dare ya !!! :lol:

Well,........... Maybe in it's next life!
I just wonder if people would get it? :?

I'm sure I'm not going to keep it like this, and some sort of hippy-ish theme might be fun later on. :lol:

cman said:
If memory serves me, that is a British made frame. Western Flyer imported some for a brief period. I had the more info on them once but has since lost it.

The frame looks alot like the Raliegh Lancer
http://www.flickr.com/photos/msubikepro ... 130581899/

Yes, it looks like the seat stays and the top tube are reversed on the Lancer with everything else being equal.
Also the frame is very British and they're easy to I.D.

Take headtube and BB apart, if bearings scurry everywhere, You've got one! :D
I also have a Western Flyer womens 3 spd that I converted to recumbent, that frame had " Made in England" plastered all over it. Hub dates it at a 1960.

So is it going with the bus paint scheme...I dare ya...I double dog dare ya !!! :lol:

Agreed. That zany Mondrian paint job has always been a favorite of mine.

cap0672.jpg

Are you also going to do the "Nervous Mother" sign too?

I dig that frame!

psko said:

Agreed. That zany Mondrian paint job has always been a favorite of mine.

Are you also going to do the "Nervous Mother" sign too?

I dig that frame!

Mondrian, I knew there was a name for that art style. Well, I'm commited to color now I.E., I bought the paint and I am still stuck with the image in my head.
It's still very temping to do in the future, I'd forgotten that sign, the precurser to the ever famous " Baby on Board". :lol:

Got the frame chemically stripped and a few parts cleaned up, I'll be sanding tommorow. Thurs. is supposed to be a good painting day, can't wait.
prtrdg01002.jpg

prtrdg01003.jpg

prtrdg01004.jpg

prtrdg01006.jpg

prtrdg01007.jpg

note the large hole, probably for a normal headtube.

prtrdg01008.jpg

prtrdg01009.jpg

This thing had four different paint jobs. Black, red, yellow, and black again. :)

Hopefully this Partridge doesn't end up punching out a transvestite.

I like how the lugs almost look like pipe fittings! very cool! have you looked at the other frame that looks just about this one in the build?
Scott 8)

It's in paint!

Got the base charcoal grey metallic done. I just lightly sanded the forks, it's base silver was in good shape.
Lugs are going to be """"Chevy engine red""""", AKA orange. :) But it's a real dirty orange, perfect for stuff that your trying to make look old.
Gona' do it with a brush, i'll try to give it some character. :wink:

prepnt.jpg

primer.jpg

flsfrm.jpg

noflsfrm.jpg

Camera does not do it justice.
Sorry about the rotation, but it gave it a certain Batman-esk quality

37fleetwood said:
I like how the lugs almost look like pipe fittings! very cool! have you looked at the other frame that looks just about this one in the build?
Scott 8)
Nope, but you've peaked my interest. Whats the thread title?

That near 90 deg. joint does have a certain T fitting look.

OK, got some more painting and cleaning done, and finally started some assembly!
It's been a few decades since I've done handlebar tape, got the old school Italian cloth stuff.
I desided to leave the seat as is, It's the exact same model that my first ten speed had.

parts003.jpg

parts004.jpg

parts005.jpg

Finally, some brazing :)

parts006.jpg

parts008.jpg

parts011.jpg

parts012.jpg

parts013.jpg

parts014.jpg

parts015.jpg

parts016.jpg

parts017.jpg

parts018.jpg

parts019.jpg

I've had these tires for 2 years, now they have a home. It'll be interesting to see if they're still good.

parts020.jpg

parts021.jpg

One cool thing about British pedals is that they're rebuildable!
From this pile of parts;

pile01.jpg

To this!

prtrdg02002.jpg

Got it to the "wheels on" stage today. I started to put on the brakes, but my rear caliper was too long. With my blue Stingray it's the other way around!
Thankfully I have an overabundance of shorties. 8) So it looks like alloy brakes for both ends.

prtrdg02003.jpg

This pic really brings out the relaxed frame angles, they did this at the turn of the last century.

Minor error today, when I installed the front fender it didn't match the radius of the tire, ugh.
So I stripped it again, heated up the bracket and pulled it out some.
I'll repaint it tommorow. Here's the better matched fender.

opps.jpg

The original goal for the day was fully installed brakes, only managed to get them polished and assembled.

Here's a before and after on the same arm.
caliper.jpg

Tragedy has struck once again. Got all the cabling done, brakes and shifting are all good.
But the first ride was very harrowing as all of the headset is a mismatch. It would barely turn!
Going straight wasn’t any good either.
I really like building the bike first with no paint whatsoever, that way, when stuff screws up like this there’s no paint to destroy. :)
I guess this is the price you pay for going fast.

Bummer......................................................................................... :cry:

Latest posts

Back