the next project

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im getting closer to being done with my current project (Frank N. Stine) so ive already started collecting parts for my next project. i have the fork, which ive posted on the thread before but ill post again, and today i picked up this firestone bike. the bike had a seat on it but it wasnt the right one and it didnt even fit on the post. the chain ring is cool - ive wanted one like that ever since the first time i saw one. the frame is beefy and i think it'll match the fork well. the fenders have a "spine" dowm the middle, i dont know the correct bicycle fender term for this but i know it keeps em a lil more rigid and these are in great shape, perfect for stripping and repainting. the front fender had a light on it at some point, and i may have one that'll work for it on another bike. the cranks aren't as long as as on alot of cruiser and multi speed bikes ive seen, so im thinking that putting 24" wheels on it might be do-able without making it impracticle when pedaling through turns. i dont know what ill end up doing as far as paint and stuff, but im pretty sure ill switch out the handlebars, the stem, the pedals, and im sure ill put a bent seat post with a big comfy seat. i paid 30 bucks for the bike, and 10 bucks for the new looking generator and 2 light rig. this bike could be ridden today if there were a seat on it. the tubes still hold air.

BeastBike13.jpg

BeastBike23.jpg

[http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j64/gravityracing/BeastBike33.jpg/img]
[img]http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j64/gravityracing/coolfork13.jpg
10bikegeneratorlight3.jpg

Nice Score! I think the term is PEEKED fenders. Cant wait to see the final build!

Eddie, NICE. If you decide to not use that chainring, fenders or those wheels, let me know! I may have a seat I can swap (or you can have!)

you'll be the first to know! for whatever reason i dont really dig fenders on these bikes. on road bikes w/narrow tires the fenders are sleek and minimal, but on the these old klunker bikes they just look clumsy to me. since im a "fair weather rider" fenders are not even a functional part of the bike to me. since this bike is supposed to look bulky i might keep 'em, but i havent decided yet. i would need to replace some of the fender braces even.
fast eddie outty

Stupid question: Are those forks actually functional? I always thought they were strictly an aesthetic 'faux' springer, but after looking at your pics they look functional. A real cool looking fork either way but now I'm curious. Oh yeah, looks like the start of a winner.

no such thing as a stupid question, yes those forks are functional. that'd be alot of work, cost, and extra weight for an aesthetic. i dig big bulky springer forks for some reason, they just look cool for some reason. i dont know who made 'em or what kind of bike they were on originally, but some guys on this site told me they were originally came on a schwinn bike. dont see too many with crash bars on 'em. rather than rebuild and repaint them (looks like they've already been restored) im gonna save myself that work and just try to match the bikes paint scheme to the fork.
fast eddie outty

That was a Cleveland Welding fork used on Roadmaster, Hawthorne and a few others. It's a very angry looking piece of equiptment, looks like a piece of electical transformer or somethin' :shock:

very cool looking bike for a great price too. if you are ditching the fork thats on it now, and want to send me some measurements on it to see if it'd work on the hawthorne i'm working on, i'd like to get it from you if i can't find one within a week or so up here. send me a private message if you'd like and i can send you the dimensions i'd need for it to work on my bike.
andy

no prob, i think its a pretty easy to find part, but its yours if my other fork fits. its a one inch steer tube im sure, but if ya pm me and let me know the length of the head tube on your bike ill tell ya how close it is the lenght of the head tube on this bike.
fast eddie outty

awesome bike, i like that tail rack it has! I can't wait to see the finished product....

:p
...if by some strange coincidence you dont want those forks i'll gladly take em off your hands :p i've always wanted a pair of forks like that hehe

Joshua85 said:
awesome bike, i like that tail rack it has! I can't wait to see the finished product....

:p
...if by some strange coincidence you dont want those forks i'll gladly take em off your hands :p i've always wanted a pair of forks like that hehe
I think Hooch supplied that fork (if I'm not mistaken) they show up on ebay occasoinally, they're pricey-ish, but not bad for what they are.

oh boy, there could be a bidding war on that sprocket..................... not scared of a little competition are ya skoda..... that thing is BAD and i WANT it!!!!!!!!!

well..that chainring was the reason i chose that bike over the others so it'll probably stay on the bike. it is cool, i saw one on this site once and ive wanted one ever since. if memory serves those were produced by schwinn? im trying to come up w/ a way to accent the stars somehow. im sure i will be getting rid of the chain gaurd though, i dont like those, and the rack on the back will go too...i have something very special planned for the back side...mmooooohahahahahahaha!!!!
fast eddie outty

Latest posts

Back