The Neighborly thing to do......

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my neighbor, who at times can be a pain, asked me a few months ago to put on some pedals for her because her daughters bike needed a tune up. I was like ok, sure did the pedals and went about my business in my garage. A few weeks later she says, "Tom, I got an old bike in my garage and was wondering what it was worth". I shrugged it off, thinking this woman probably doesn't have anything special in her garage and eventually I'll look because she says the door to her garage is extremly heavy and she'll wait till her son shows up.

So Saturday I'm working on a JC Higgins girls bike for a friend, and she says she has a Ross I can have, it was a nice single speed cruiser all I had to do was put some air in the tires and I gave it to a friend of mine who had her bike stolen a week before. She also asked me to look at her daughters 10 speed and see what it needed. I didn't care, I just got a free bike! haha Then she says, "wanna see that old bike I have?"

"sure, I got time".........

I open the garage and tucked in a corner is a Schwinn Black Phantom! The bike is complete (minus seat) and original. All parts are there and the only problem is the tail light is cracked. I was in shock! She asked me what it was worth, and I gave her my best guestimate. I wished in a way I didn't because I could've stolen the bike from her, but I didn't. I couldn't do that to her. (I wish I didnt have this conscience!)

The bike is amazing and makes my heart hurt it's just sitting in that garage...... oh man......

Tell her you'll fix all the bikes in her family, forever, in trade for the phantom.

She'll say yes.

Hopefully when you gave her your best guestimate, you also told her you were interested in it. Maybe offer to pay her so much monthly, and keep maintaining her kids bikes in the meantime. Maybe if she understands it will be going to a good home, you'll come out on top. 8)
Rick

Markm said:
bein' good hurts!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:[/quote

I agree. When somebody has something mislisted on CL, they have had their time to research. This lady was trying to do her research and asked you a question as she is naive about old bikes. Good for you telling her your guesstimate. Hopefully you will share some pics.

My next door neighbors have an original '59 Jaguar stored in their minibarn. It was the wife's brother's who died several years back. Last summer when I started restoring bikes the wife said I could have it. The husband kind of cringed when she said it but at the time I did not know much about Jaguars. After I did some research, I came clean and explained to them I couldn't take it because I knew it was worth $250 - $500. Since then he has expressed interest in cleaning it up to the point I got him some tires and a new S reflector at a swap meet this summer. I suppose once he retires at the end of the month it will finally get some attention.

Latest posts

Back