The Krusty Kruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
DSCN0050.jpg

This is my first build. It is a 47' Roadmaster I picked up on craigslist. It is pretty crusty. Just about everything that should move is frozen.

FIRST BUILD!......(I think we got a "ringer").

i would fill the bath tub with oil and toss that sucker in and let simmer for a few weeks to loosen everything up. neat frame, and good luck

Great looking project.

If those rims are in good shape, and you don't use them on the build, I might be interested in buing them.

Dan

I tore everything down. The fork and seat are pretty much toast. The frame is nice. I only broke one bolt. I'll post pics of the pile 'o' parts soon. I know I've got some rims I can use somewhere behind the frames :?

DSCN0023.jpg

That is quite the pile o frames. Never seen a primered pile, just the rusty piles from Chestnut Hollow.

Have fun with the RUST. Hopefully the seatpost moves sometime in the next century

dude... sell me one of your frames... I'm tired of building girls bikes! haha!

I started digging around the garage to find all of the parts. I should have it mocked up this weekend and I'll post pics. I'm debating on a chainguard. I found a bendix 2 speed. I found a donor springer fork as well. Between the 2 I think I should be able to salvage one usable one. I just got back from Vegas and was looking at pictures from the Shifters car show at Viva Las Vegas last year and it got me excited to work on it again. If it turns out like it looks in my head it will be pretty sweet.

Neat start!
Same fork as mine, too.
Toast?
It's a pretty beefy piece.
I would think it would clean up...with a lot of work.

Nice pile of frames pic! :mrgreen:

cman said:
That is quite the pile o frames. Never seen a primered pile, just the rusty piles from Chestnut Hollow.

Have fun with the RUST. Hopefully the seatpost moves sometime in the next century
And i got to dig through the rust pile at chestnut hollow...got to the back of the pile...and found NOTHING
at $40 a rusted out frame...theres no way

Well I finally got my camera back and wanted to post some pictures of the Krusty Kruiser.
I dug through my parts and was able to find everything I needed. I'm looking to mock it up this weekend.

DSCN0116.jpg

Here is my pile so far. I robbed a girls schwinn for the crank and gooseneck. I'm still trying to find just the right chainring. I found some nice forks, but I'm still fighting to get he broken goose neck out.

DSCN0118.jpg

I didn't realize how beat the frame was, but it wasn't anything some welding, spot putty and a whole lot of primer couldn't take care of. Due to the frame needing more work than I originally thought I'm going in a different direction. I found this chainguard, but I'm not quite sure. I thought I'd see what people thought.

DSCN0120.jpg

Finding the tank was the coolest part. It fits perfect in the frame. I'm not sure of the paint scheme yet.

DSCN0121.jpg

The insides look great.

Broken stems suck almost as bad as stuck seatpost. Is the full stem still in the fork? You could try the technique that Dangratsdan did. viewtopic.php?f=24&t=8327
or
Soak both top and bottom with pentrating oil, then use some all-thread to tap it from the underside. Stick the all-thread threw the hole in the bottom of the fork and hammer away.

JohnnyB.Nutty said:
I found some nice forks, but I'm still fighting to get he broken goose neck out.

well, if the regular application of penetrant and vice action doesn't work-out you could try heating the steerer tube (degrease first) over a cooker gas ring until about a dark cherry-red, then let it cool. this expansion/contraction action should break most chemical/ electro-chemical bonds, especially if it's an aluminium stem (take care that it doesn't melt on you - molten metal burns are not funny at all).

hopefully you won't have to try this - cause it can create alot of smoke and stink.

if you know someone with a gas torch, like oxy-acetylene / oxy-propane, then that would be better.

all the best with this one,

owen.

Latest posts

Back