THE GREEN HORNET

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, at long last here it is.
hornet2.jpg

It started life as an el cheapo cantilever frame. I stretched it about 8 inches and flipped the top-half of the rear section. The tank was hand-made by me with a tear-drop mallet and planishing hammer. The springer front-end is scratch built, again by me.
hornet1.jpg

The handlebars I bent from rebar (since I don't have a tubing bender) and the grips are old brass water nozzles.
hornet3.jpg

26" wheels with white-walls. Now that I see pics of it I realize how long it is!!!
hornet5.jpg

The emblems are off of an early 50's Hudson Hornet. I just stuck 'em on temporary-like for the shots. I gotta bend 'em up right to conform to the tank. Satin green paint on the frame and forks, and gloss almond for the wheels and chainring. As you can see by the quality of the welds it's a REAL rat-rod bike! Not too bad for a first timer, huh?

Wow! The "Hornet" emblems are primo the way they are.
Using brass water nozzles for grips is brilliant ! Good choice of colour too. The only detail I'm not wild about is the rebar used as handlebars, but that's just me. It's an outstanding bike.

Well done :D

-Mp

i dont care what anyone says- that bike is cool.

and it shows your talent for using whatever you can find to put to use on the bike build.

very cool.

oh yeah- brass rules!

blackchop1 said:

and it shows your talent for using whatever you can find to put to use on the bike build.

very cool.

oh yeah- brass rules!

Brass rules? Then you'll definately like my next project. If I can get my hands on a frame.

Boneshaker said:
blackchop1 said:

very cool.

oh yeah- brass rules!

Brass rules? Then you'll definately like my next project. If I can get my hands on a frame.

yup. you should see pics of some of the chopper motorcyucles ive built.

i always liked using brass . and still do.

cant wait to see your next build.

WOW!

Very very cool! Well executed and thought out. The brass water nozzles are Rats .... Just another reason this place is the most innovative anywhere. Kudos to a job well done!:shock:

joe

I am VERY impressed to say The Least!

The Frame sweep at The Rear is Brilliant,

The Grips...BRILLIANT

The Springers are beautiful with the Big Knarley Nuts
and Ready-Rod as the Finish tops to the Springer Crowns.

The Only thing i MAY Change......
( and I am very hesitant to say anything because I absolutly LOVE this Bike )

...is I may have Painted the Crank Arms the same Color as the Frame
and Leave the Pedals and Chainring the Cream.

You have also gone to a Lot of Trouble to do a great Detail Job
on the Springs below The Seat.
I Think that The Springs on the "Springer" would only look better
...and Highlight your awesome work.....if you Painted them
Cream as well!

As a Painter and Desigener,
The Paint Scheem is "Bang on" !

excellent work!
peace,
Kev.

Thanks for the kind words. Kev, i really appreciate your input because I am a HUGE fan of your Offenhauser Pin It bike. When I first saw the pics I thought "how in the world did he chop those Offy heads down like that?" Now a lot of you guys have me wanting to do a wooden tank since I've been working with wood for about 15 years now!

superb!

Very Creative. Frame and fork are cool. And the rest of the accs. look great. Need to find me one of those "Hornet " emblems for a Schwinn Hornet that I have.

Yowza! That's great. I love the shape of the tank, very much like the shape of a hornet (oh death where is thy sting?). The grips are great idea,love the color too.

Latest posts

Back