The Flying V - JC Higgins Boardtracker - Headbadge installed

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have wanted to do a RRBBO for years, so I'm doing it this year! Here's the blank canvas. Its a early 50's JC Higgins. I am going to build into a weathered boardtrack racer tribute. My goal to build an obscure, long-forgotten boardtrack racer that may have been found in unrestored, but original as raced condition.

DSCN2094.jpg

DSCN2098.jpg

Let the fun begin!

Re: JC Higgins Boardtracker

I have that same rack to use someday.
Great bike to start with.
Good luck and have fun!

cool bike can't wait tosee what you do with it

Troy

I got her whittled a little bit and flipped the bars. I love the backbone of these old Higgins!

IMG00535-20121227-1656_zpsbe11cc8e.jpg

So I mounted a set of old weathered tires on a rusty set of drop center wheels and modified the seat to sit on the seat post (its not mounted, just mocked up). I painted the sprocket, crank, truss rods and bars. I have a plan for another sprocket, but the dark colored paint made a world of difference for it. I'm playing around with a rear fender trying to decide whether I like it not.

I like the dry rotted old tires, but I'm wondering what a pair cream bricks would look like on it...

IMG00548-20121231-1656_zpsf87d72b4.jpg

DSCN2316.jpg

DSCN2318.jpg

IMG00549-20121231-1706_zps3d5af331.jpg

love the look of the no fender but you may not want to slide back to far :roll:

Troy

jats said:
love the look of the no fender but you may not want to slide back to far :roll:

Troy

Just think - guys used to ride on seats like that at 100+ MPH back in the day! :shock:

624007582_o_zps0c0baadb.jpg

deven_science said:
"but I'm wondering what a pair cream bricks would look like on it..."

Mmm... cream tires always look good, in my opinion.
real good if you ask me! and 100 plus on one of those bikes insane!

Thanks! I'm far from done wiith it, but I played around with some potential backdrop pics with it back in my "junk yard". I have a 1/4 acre or so cleared out back in the woods for storing old stuff that seems to find its way home often! :roll: I covered the tires with leaves in the first pic, and it actually looks like its been propped up there for years. The second pic it leaning against my grandad's old '58 David Bradley Suburban lawn tractor.

DSCN2313_zps4fb35a9c.jpg

DSCN2312_zps5c406aa9.jpg

A tried some paint today that I thought might look like rust, and it did a pretty good job. It is Krylon Multicolor Textured paint. The color is August Brown and if you have some parts you want to look rusty, its pretty convincing and even more convincing in how it feels. It feels like the real deal. I am going to try to use some rusty steel to add a little more color to it. I amgoing to remove the kick stand and change the chain ring, but I painted them anyway. The last two are a before after of the kick stand and pedal. If you look back at the first pics the crank, chain ring, and truss rods are actually almost rust free.

IMG00726-20130513-1822_zpsdd2cd7f2.jpg

IMG00722-20130513-1818_zpsaa86b73a.jpg

IMG00724-20130513-1819_zps5eb051a7.jpg

IMG00725-20130513-1821_zpsb7b213b8.jpg

IMG00727-20130513-1823_zpsebac1942.jpg

IMG00729-20130513-1859_zps51a61cbf.jpg

Thanks! I'm thinking about converting it to a fixie since its a tribute to a race style bike. I am also playing with some tank logos. After I get the tank, I am going to paint the name of bike (fictional brand, maybe?) and distress it to look like the rest of the bike. I'm bouncing a few different ideas around on the chain ring as well.

I'm leaning towards the "Flying V". If I stick with the name, this is a rough draft of the logo that I am planning on painting on the tank. I will will probably extend the "wings" off of it a little further, but I love the art deco looking letters I am planning on painting the lettering gold with a black outline against the rusty red. I am going to try to make the lettering look as old as the rest of it.
What do you guys think?

flyingV4_zps846cbf53.jpg

Re: The Flying V - JC Higgins Boardtracker (logo designed)

I like the name and the graphic!
Go for it!

Latest posts

Back