The Fix Now with riding video

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built this frame a while back. Once I put it together and rode it I noticed the bottom
chainstay was real close to the back of your heal when you peddled. I would bump it
every once in a while. I decided to stop building it. Now I have the need for a frame to
use the 3'' wide rims I am building so its time to fix it.
When your building one its real easy to have something not work. Its a good idea to check
before you finish it and waste money on paint. I really like the way this frame looks and normally
I would just cut it up and start over, but with this one I'm going to try for a fix. Its pretty hard to
weld two pieces of tubing together and not have it show where the weld is. Oh well that is what
bondo is for. So here goes.
DSCF0002-91.jpg

DSCF0005-19.jpg

Re: The Fix

That is the only reason I scratched built frames, was to show everybody how easy it is to do
them. Its just a few pieces of pipe welded together. If you keep an eye on dimensions they
will ride good to. I wasn't watching since this was the first looptail I have built. Not a biggie
its just metal and it can be changed.
Glad you like this one. :D

Can't wait to see this fixed and painted.

That would be a nice template for a CNC Rail. :mrgreen:

Well I was looking at one of the first pictures and the frame was laying on a chair
There were the handle bars on the chair and it looked good on the frame. So I bent one and welded
it in. I shortened the chain stay loop about 2'' so it should solve the hitting my foot deal. Still
have a little to do and then smear some bondo on my terrible welds. Every time you start and
stop, it leaves a little hole. I should have learned how to start over the old one a bit
and solve that. Guess I'm a creature of habit.....or just old
Yeah Clancy this one may turn out pretty good. For sure that 3'' rim will fit in the back with however
big of a tire I could buy...maybe a cheater slick. I still have a couple inches with that 3'' wide rim.
IMG_0317.jpg
DSCF0002-92.jpg

Do you have a picture from the top? Can't even tell were the seat stays start.

Yeah still have a ways to go , plus build a front fork to run a 3'' wide rim. Oh and finish the front rim.
Waiting on my hub and then I can knock that out. Gonna be a while though.

You know Clancy, I worked on the ones on my basman copy adding metal and grinding them down and you
really don't see them unless you look. These were just some quickie ones I stuck on there and the slot wasn't
that good. It will hold the tire. Problem now is I have spent all morning putting the bondo on and to weld on
that will melt it. Its just a frame and not even my best . Was just playing around. It should look acceptable,
if not I got some new portabandsaw blades that will solve the problem.
Will sand the bondo one more time and squirt some paint on it.
DSCF0001-96.jpg

Got a coat of paint on the frame. I used black, because I had a couple cans of it. Probably won't stay
that color. My wife is going to be mad because the two cans are for the other outdoor chairs. Oh well.
So its not a good picture in the shade, but I don't want to move it till its dry.
DSCF0003-42.jpg

DSCF0005-20.jpg

Its funny about the vise. I went to a friends shop that has old cars. I said I needed a vise. He said he had that
one on an old table he would sell. It was all nasty and greasy from sitting for years, and behind a bunch of junk. It had miss
matched bolts and nuts holding it on. I probably spent an hour getting it off. He wanted $30 for it and I only
had $28 so he sold it to me for that. Its a really heavy one and I love it. Was a deal.

Glad yall like the frame. It was a kinda weird design from what I normally build. I wanted to try out
my new bended and see if I could do a one piece looptail rear triangle without a seat post. Was mainly
just a trial run on my bender. Doesn't look bad though.

Uncle Stretch said:
Its funny about the vise. I went to a friends shop that has old cars. I said I needed a vise. He said he had that
one on an old table he would sell. It was all nasty and greasy from sitting for years, and behind a bunch of junk. It had miss
matched bolts and nuts holding it on. I probably spent an hour getting it off. He wanted $30 for it and I only
had $28 so he sold it to me for that. Its a really heavy one and I love it. Was a deal.

It's classic for sure. It looks like you could polish it. But then it would break, so bad idea.

Well I bought a 32 hole front hub on ebay. Its suppose to get here Monday. I couldn't stand it. I ran down to the LBS
and he sold me a used road bike wheel that had a Shimano 32 hole front hub. I tore it apart and tried to lace it with the spokes
it had. Wouldn't work. I found some 14 ga stainless ones that were about 1/2'' shorter. I laced it and it did a cross 2 perfect.
Now I could wait till monday to get the other hub or just tape the nipples, sand the rim and paint it. I might normally worry
a little about a cross two but its a front wheel and not a lot of weight up there. I was going to drill the hub and run the bigger
spokes , but I worry about the hub breaking. Its got very little meat around the spokes. A bigger hole might cause trouble . So
maybe tomorrow I can paint it and stick the bike together....maybe. :roll: The wheel trued perfect.
DSCF0001-97.jpg

Latest posts

Back